4.0.23 release in Debian

TarotApprentice
Given today’s announcement of squid 4.0.23, are there plans for Debian to pick it up?

Currently they have 4.0.21 in experimental and 3.5.23 in their other repos. Emails to the squid maintainers at Debian go unanswered.

Re: 4.0.23 release in Debian

On 22/01/18 22:37, TarotApprentice wrote:
> Given today’s announcement of squid 4.0.23, are there plans for Debian to pick it up?
>
> Currently they have 4.0.21 in experimental and 3.5.23 in their other repos. Emails to the squid maintainers at Debian go unanswered.

Did you mail Luigi directly or the
[hidden email] team list?
  I don't see anything coming to the list if so.

As to your question; Updates to the stable Debian are in the hands of
the Debian Security Team. There were no advance notices so all the OS
updates are yet to happen.
 I'm preparing the experimental package updates now. Others in the
pkg-squid team to check and upload, so time varies.

Re: 4.0.23 release in Debian

Eliezer Croitoru
I would try to release DEB package for Debian and Ubuntu on my free time.

On 22/01/18 22:37, TarotApprentice wrote:
> Given today’s announcement of squid 4.0.23, are there plans for Debian to pick it up?
>
> Currently they have 4.0.21 in experimental and 3.5.23 in their other repos. Emails to the squid maintainers at Debian go unanswered.

Did you mail Luigi directly or the
[hidden email] team list?
  I don't see anything coming to the list if so.

As to your question; Updates to the stable Debian are in the hands of
the Debian Security Team. There were no advance notices so all the OS
updates are yet to happen.
 I'm preparing the experimental package updates now. Others in the
pkg-squid team to check and upload, so time varies.

Re: 4.0.23 release in Debian

Enrico Heine
Already asked the responsible guys, if I can support them by packaging squid for debian since this is what I already do for my company and there is no reason for not sharing it or building it in my spare time at home. Unfortunately I never got an answer so I thought ok, I can't force them to allow me to contribute something back. I would also have been gratefull for just becoming an uploader to experimental only. Saad story, I guess they are to busy to even listening for people trying to help.

On 05/02/18 00:06, Enrico Heine wrote:
> Already asked the responsible guys, if I can support them by packaging
> squid for debian since this is what I already do for my company and
> there is no reason for not sharing it or building it in my spare time at
> home. Unfortunately I never got an answer so I thought ok, I can't force
> them to allow me to contribute something back. I would also have been
> gratefull for just becoming an uploader to experimental only. Saad
> story, I guess they are to busy to even listening for people trying to help.

Who did you contact? The Debian 'squid' and 'squid3' packages are being
maintained by a team these days. I have not seen any messages from you
going to that mailing list:
<https://alioth.debian.org/mail/?group_id=100852>

Re: 4.0.23 release in Debian

Eliezer Croitoru
It seems they are not even trying to block spam...

> Already asked the responsible guys, if I can support them by packaging
> squid for debian since this is what I already do for my company and
> there is no reason for not sharing it or building it in my spare time at
> home. Unfortunately I never got an answer so I thought ok, I can't force
> them to allow me to contribute something back. I would also have been
> gratefull for just becoming an uploader to experimental only. Saad
> story, I guess they are to busy to even listening for people trying to help.

Who did you contact? The Debian 'squid' and 'squid3' packages are being
maintained by a team these days. I have not seen any messages from you
going to that mailing list:
<https://alioth.debian.org/mail/?group_id=100852>

Re: 4.0.23 release in Debian

Enrico Heine
Well, I've forwarded my old mail just now after subcribing to this list
which I did sent directly to luigi and manty because I was unaware of
these mailing lists. Thank you Amos!

Am 2018-02-05 04:00, schrieb Eliezer Croitoru:

> It seems they are not even trying to block spam...
>
> Eliezer
>
> ----
> Eliezer Croitoru
> Linux System Administrator
> Mobile: +972-5-28704261
> Email: [hidden email]

FYI:
There is already progress on Squid 4.0.23 over here:
https://packages.debian.org/source/experimental/squid

BTW: Hope I may get a response this time from anybody over there, then I
would package 3.5.27..

Am 2018-02-05 10:21, schrieb Flashdown:

> Well, I've forwarded my old mail just now after subcribing to this
> list which I did sent directly to luigi and manty because I was
> unaware of these mailing lists. Thank you Amos!
>
> Am 2018-02-05 04:00, schrieb Eliezer Croitoru:
>> It seems they are not even trying to block spam...
>>
>> Eliezer
>>
>> ----
>> Eliezer Croitoru
>> Linux System Administrator
>> Mobile: +972-5-28704261
>> Email: [hidden email]

Re: 4.0.23 release in Debian

L.P.H. van Belle
Hi,

If you want a squid 3.5.27 for debian stretch. (amd64 only builded)
Have a look here :  http://downloads.van-belle.nl/squid/
The tar.gz contains, build log, sources used and debs.

My changelog.
squid3 (3.5.27-0.1) stretch; urgency=medium

  * Non-maintainer upload.
  * Builded from squid-cache.org sources.
  * base 3.5.23 from buster.
  * No changes.

The exact version is :
Squid Cache: Version 3.5.27-20171101-re69e56c

So nothing fancy, just the debian standards. If you want a bit newer.
Go here: http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.5
And look if there is any intersting you want and add the patches or get a daily tar.gz.
And replace the source.tar.gz.

Greetz,

Louis

Re: 4.0.23 release in Debian

TarotApprentice

I’ve already raised a Debian bug regarding startup script issues with it. Maybe that will receive some attention.

> On 7 Feb 2018, at 9:25 pm, L.P.H. van Belle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> If you want a squid 3.5.27 for debian stretch. (amd64 only builded)
> Have a look here :  http://downloads.van-belle.nl/squid/
> The tar.gz contains, build log, sources used and debs.
>
> My changelog.
> squid3 (3.5.27-0.1) stretch; urgency=medium
>
>  * Non-maintainer upload.
>  * Builded from squid-cache.org sources.
>  * base 3.5.23 from buster.
>  * No changes.
>
> The exact version is :
> Squid Cache: Version 3.5.27-20171101-re69e56c
>
> So nothing fancy, just the debian standards. If you want a bit newer.
> Go here: http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.5
> And look if there is any intersting you want and add the patches or get a daily tar.gz.
> And replace the source.tar.gz.
>

> Greetz,
>
> Louis

Re: 4.0.23 release in Debian

TarotApprentice

889541. Amos asked me to raise one.

Also their .service file has an ExecPre line that does a squid -z command, meaning it always tries to create the cache_dir directories on every start action. I didn’t mention that on the bug.

MarkJ