Different cache_dir based on object types

Different cache_dir based on object types

♥ NiNJA ♂
Hi friends

I have a server with Dual Xeon cpu , 64GB ram , [2] 256GB SSD and [4] 2TB HDD

Is there anyway to config Squid to store objects in different
cache_dir based on object types ?

For example storing video files (mp4 , mkv ...) into first hard disk
Storing windows update files into second hard disk
Storing js , css , html files into third hard disk
And etc ...

Thank you all with Love .

Re: Different cache_dir based on object types

Antony Stone
On Thursday 03 August 2017 at 20:25:59, ♥ NiNJA ♂ wrote:

> Hi friends
>
> I have a server with Dual Xeon cpu , 64GB ram , [2] 256GB SSD and [4] 2TB
> HDD

Er, congratulations.

> Is there anyway to config Squid to store objects in different
> cache_dir based on object types ?
>
> For example storing video files (mp4 , mkv ...) into first hard disk
> Storing windows update files into second hard disk
> Storing js , css , html files into third hard disk
> And etc ...

I have no idea how you might achieve this (maybe others have) but... why do
you want to do this?

What is the benefit?

Antony.

--
"In fact I wanted to be John Cleese and it took me some time to realise that
the job was already taken."

 - Douglas Adams

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

On 04/08/17 08:52, Antony Stone wrote:

> On Thursday 03 August 2017 at 20:25:59, ♥ NiNJA ♂ wrote:
>
>> Hi friends
>>
>> I have a server with Dual Xeon cpu , 64GB ram , [2] 256GB SSD and [4] 2TB
>> HDD
>
> Er, congratulations.
>
>> Is there anyway to config Squid to store objects in different
>> cache_dir based on object types ?
>>
>> For example storing video files (mp4 , mkv ...) into first hard disk
>> Storing windows update files into second hard disk
>> Storing js , css , html files into third hard disk
>> And etc ...
>
> I have no idea how you might achieve this (maybe others have) but... why do
> you want to do this?

Not as such. HTTP deals in representation payloads, not files.

You can tune each cache_dir to contain objects within a certain size
range using the min-size= and max-size= parameters.
<http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/cache_dir/>

Re: Different cache_dir based on object types

Hey Ninja,

This is one beefy machine you have there.
I believe that it is expected to have at-least 8 cores total and you seem to maybe misunderstand or confuse couple things with squid.
The only cache_dir you can use on such a machine that will be efficient would probably be rock but before you mark the target try to understand what is on the wire.
You will need SMP squid and the SSD for logs.
If you have the machine ready to spin you will probably need to start with analysis and move on to assessment\evaluation of the solution.
Depends on the goals and targets you have you might have a chance to understand what is required from the system.
(All the above is based on the assumption you are kind of new to squid)