Does Squid proxy passes client/server MIME type such as application/x-protobuf?

Does Squid proxy passes client/server MIME type such as application/x-protobuf?

GeorgeShen

I would like to know in the case of proxy, can be ssl-bump, does the squid
proxy passes the http MIME type to the other side of the connection? such as
application/x-protobuf, application/json, text/plain, etc. What is the
expectation on this for the other HTTP header information?

thanks.
- George

Re: Does Squid proxy passes client/server MIME type such as application/x-protobuf?

On 11/01/20 11:27 am, GeorgeShen wrote:

> I would like to know in the case of proxy, can be ssl-bump, does the squid
> proxy passes the http MIME type to the other side of the connection?

SSL-Bump is about the TLS protocol. It has nothing to do with HTTP
messages or headers.

The standard rules for HTTP are applied to plain-text HTTP messages, and
to the decrypted HTTP(S) messages equally.

A proxy passes the mime type appropriate for the message it is
delivering. If that message payload is being relayed the mime type will
be transmitted along with it.
 (There are cases in HTTP when new messages are generated to replace the
received one, or where the message originates at the proxy, or stops at
the proxy).

> such as
> application/x-protobuf, application/json, text/plain, etc. What is the
> expectation on this for the other HTTP header information?

Mime type is a Content-* header - related to the payload itself. Squid
(and all HTTP proxies) do as little with relayed payloads as possible.
Ideally they just send it onwards and/or store for delivery later - the
recipient of the message is responsible for anything which mime header
may be involved with.

Re: Does Squid proxy passes client/server MIME type such as application/x-protobuf?

GeorgeShen

Thanks Amos,

Good to know the MIME types are forwarded if the payload is being relayed.

What will be the expectation on the http custom headers, such as
'X-Request-ID', or 'X-Serial-Number' if they are set from client, during the
proxy relay process, will those also be forwarded unchanged or is it
possible
only some of the well-known ones being honored for squid or other types of
proxies?

On 11/01/20 5:30 pm, GeorgeShen wrote:

> Thanks Amos,
>
> Good to know the MIME types are forwarded if the payload is being relayed.
>
> What will be the expectation on the http custom headers, such as
> 'X-Request-ID', or 'X-Serial-Number' if they are set from client, during the
> proxy relay process, will those also be forwarded unchanged or is it
> possible
> only some of the well-known ones being honored for squid or other types of
> proxies?

Please see the HTTP specifications. They answer most of your questions.
 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7230#section-3.2.1>