Fwd: ERROR: http_port or ACL larger than 65536 (short type)

Fwd: ERROR: http_port or ACL larger than 65536 (short type)

kalice caprice
Hello,

Inside my squid.conf I'm setting up ACL like this:

http_port 0.0.0.0:20740 name=20740
acl ip10740 myportname 20740

and then

tcp_outgoing_address x.x.x.x ip10740

I've got over 65536 (about 80k) ACL inside my squid.conf and squid throws this error:

ERROR: The value '65536' is larger than the type 'short'.

Well, that's really unfortunate, I'm good at reading C language, but does anyone know whether there is a workaround without having to dig into the code to change variable type of if not, what variable and where should I change it ?

I'm afraid this could break things but it's not like I've got many choices at the current state.

Thanks!

Re: Fwd: ERROR: http_port or ACL larger than 65536 (short type)

Antony Stone
On Friday 30 November 2018 at 19:07:58, kalice caprice wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Inside my squid.conf I'm setting up ACL like this:
>
> http_port 0.0.0.0:20740 name=20740

So, you're using the name to represent the port number...

> acl ip10740 myportname 20740
>
> and then
>
> tcp_outgoing_address x.x.x.x ip10740
>
> I've got over 65536

Well, that'll be a problem, then...

> (about 80k) ACL inside my squid.conf and squid throws this error:
>
> ERROR: The value '65536' is larger than the type 'short'.

Indeed.  That's how many TCP port numbers you get to play with.

> Well, that's really unfortunate, I'm good at reading C language, but does
> anyone know whether there is a workaround without having to dig into the
> code to change variable type of if not, what variable and where should I
> change it ?

You'd need to change the way TCP networking works (and, no, that's not
possible).

> I'm afraid this could break things but it's not like I've got many choices
> at the current state.

What are you really trying to achieve by defining 80,000 different port numbers
in your ACLs?

Antony.

--
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was formed in 1824.
The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children was not formed

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.