HIER_NONE on TCP_MISS?

bump skier
Hi,

I'm trying to understand the following behavior I'm seeing with Squid running in accelerator mode. In short, I'm seeing some TCP_MISS for requests to a static javascript file which is initially cached and returned as a cache hit. I suspect the missed cache hits are due to the cache size being too small and the file eventually getting evicted. However, I'm confused about what I'm seeing in the Squid access log. For some of the cache misses I can see in the access log that Squid fetches the file from the configured origin server but for a vast majority of them I see HIER_NONE even though Squid is actually returning the file.

Under what situations would Squid fetch content from the origin server during a cache miss but print HIER_NONE?

Sample Requests from Access Log (actual values have been replaced with placeholders/fake values)

#What I would expect to see for TCP_MISS - Squid fetches from the origin server
TIMESTAMP 1.2.3.4 TCP_MISS/200 17310 GET http://www.domain.com/myFile.js FIRSTUP_PARENT/2.4.6.8 application/javascript

#Squid still appears to be fetching from the origin server however it prints HIER_NONE in the access log
TIMESTAMP 4.3.2.1 TCP_MISS/200 17310 GET http://www.domain.com/myFile.js HIER_NONE/- application/javascript

Re: HIER_NONE on TCP_MISS?

On 27/06/17 15:28, bump skier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to understand the following behavior I'm seeing with Squid
> running in accelerator mode. In short, I'm seeing some TCP_MISS for
> requests to a static javascript file which is initially cached and
> returned as a cache hit. I suspect the missed cache hits are due to the
> cache size being too small and the file eventually getting evicted.
> However, I'm confused about what I'm seeing in the Squid access log. For
> some of the cache misses I can see in the access log that Squid fetches
> the file from the configured origin server but for a vast majority of
> them I see HIER_NONE even though Squid is actually returning the file.
>
> Under what situations would Squid fetch content from the origin server
> during a cache miss but print HIER_NONE?

It may happen if you have content adaptation (ICAP/eCAP) providing a
response instead of either cache or origin server.

Maybe also if the collapsed forwarding feature is in use. AFAIK, we have
not got the log entries quite right there yet.

Re: HIER_NONE on TCP_MISS?

bump skier
Hmm. I don't have ICAP/eCAP or collapsed forwarding configured. Are there any situations where something similar to collapsed forwarding can happen by default?