How to setup squid as reverse proxy to intercept Office365 traffic

How to setup squid as reverse proxy to intercept Office365 traffic

SShukla
Hi,

 I am trying to setup squid as reverse proxy to intercept office365 traffic.
 The configuration we need to do in squid.conf file, I need help with that.
 Could anyone provide me sample config file that would help me set this
 up? or any directions will be much appreciated.

 Thanks

Re: How to setup squid as reverse proxy to intercept Office365 traffic

Antony Stone
On Tuesday 05 September 2017 at 22:19:03, SShukla wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I am trying to setup squid as reverse proxy to intercept office365
> traffic.

Why do you want to set up a *reverse* proxy for Office 365 traffic?

Are you running Office 365 servers and want some sort of front-end for them?

I thought Microsoft ran all the Office 365 servers, and everyone else was just
clients - in which surely what you need is a *forward* proxy.

> The configuration we need to do in squid.conf file, I need help with that.
> Could anyone provide me sample config file that would help me set this up? or
> any directions will be much appreciated.

Please explain what you are trying to achieve - what problem you are trying to
solve - what you want to happen as a result of inserting this "magic Squid
box" into your network.

Once we know that, we might be able to help you constructively.

Regards,

Antony.

--
The Magic Words are Squeamish Ossifrage.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Re: How to setup squid as reverse proxy to intercept Office365 traffic

SShukla
This post was updated on .
Why do you want to set up a *reverse* proxy for Office 365 traffic?

We need to use reverse proxy to direct the traffic going to Office 365
through an ICAP Server.

While trying to configure Squid to do so, we have encountered a few issues,
for example: since Office 365 has an IP range, one of the issue is to figure
out the IP used by Office 365 which can then be specified in squid
configuration

On Wednesday 06 September 2017 at 19:34:15, SShukla wrote:

> * Why do you want to set up a *reverse* proxy for Office 365 traffic? *
>
> We need to use reverse proxy to direct the traffic going to Office 365
> through an ICAP Server.

I still don't understand why you think this needs to be a reverse proxy rather
than a standard forwarding proxy.

> While trying to configure Squid to do so, we have encountered a few issues,
> for example: since Office 365 has an IP range, one of the issue is to
> figure out the IP used by Office 365 which can then be specified in squid
> configuration

Well, quite.

A forwarding proxy wouldn't need to be configured with this information.

Antony.

--
I wasn't sure about having a beard at first, but then it grew on me.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Re: How to setup squid as reverse proxy to intercept Office365 traffic

SShukla
Thanks for replying Antony

So one requirement for our solution is that, a user in a group using our
setup would have their traffic always pass through our proxy(Squid proxy +
ICAP), whether they are in their office on the company network, or at home
on their own internet, or anywhere else using their mobile data connection.
This was one of the key reasons we settled on using a reverse proxy.

In our current deployment, however, we do not have the unique circumstances
that Office 365 presents.  It’s entirely possible that a forward proxy is
the ONLY way to accomplish a similar end result in this environment, but if
a reverse proxy is possible ? , it would be our first choice.

On Thursday 07 September 2017 at 16:34:02, SShukla wrote:

> Thanks for replying Antony
>
> So one requirement for our solution is that, a user in a group using our
> setup would have their traffic always pass through our proxy(Squid proxy +
> ICAP), whether they are in their office on the company network, or at home
> on their own internet, or anywhere else using their mobile data connection.
> This was one of the key reasons we settled on using a reverse proxy.

For me, this still does not compute.

How is a user at home or on a mobile data connection going to find your reverse
proxy?

How is this easier than having their equipment configured to use a forwarding
proxy?

What is your understanding of the purpose of a reverse proxy?

> In our current deployment, however, we do not have the unique circumstances
> that Office 365 presents.  It’s entirely possible that a forward proxy is
> the ONLY way to accomplish a similar end result in this environment, but if
> a reverse proxy is possible ? , it would be our first choice.

Give me an example - what DNS name would a user connect to, and what would
that DNS name resolve to, in order to end up on your reverse proxy?

Antony.

--
You can tell that the day just isn't going right when you find yourself using
the telephone before the toilet.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.