Quantcast

MAXHTTPORTS CentOS 6

dakotamartinez
Hi,

I'm new the forum. But i'm a sneaker website proxy seller and I use /24 subnets with squid in order to connect to these websites. I configure these servers with different ports as well as outgoing IP's. After applying all my ports and everything I get this in my cache log:

"WARNING: You have too many 'http_port' lines.
         The limit is 128"

I can't seem to figure it out. Is there a way to change the max ports value in the CentOS operating system? I'm sort of a beginner user with squid. I don't know too much. If there is, could somebody guide me through it.

Thanks,

Dakota

Re: MAXHTTPORTS CentOS 6

Eliezer Croitoru
Only by compiling from source.

Re: MAXHTTPORTS CentOS 6

dakotamartinez
Is there a way I could go about doing this? I've read some stuff in similar forums but haven't seen a direct answer.

Dakota

Re: MAXHTTPORTS CentOS 6

Eliezer Croitoru
Well I can patch the RPM I am publishing with such a things but I will need Amos Or Alex describe to me the possible effects such a patch and in what limits we are talking about.

Amos, Alex:
What do you think about including a patch to squid stable release?
What is the right limit? Would it be wise to embed in an enterprise distribution?

Elieze

Is there a way I could go about doing this? I've read some stuff in similar forums but haven't seen a direct answer.

Dakota

Re: MAXHTTPORTS CentOS 6

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
On 02.04.17 12:01, Eliezer  Croitoru wrote:
>Well I can patch the RPM I am publishing with such a things but I will need Amos Or Alex describe to me the possible effects such a patch and in what limits we are talking about.
>
>Amos, Alex:
>What do you think about including a patch to squid stable release?
>What is the right limit? Would it be wise to embed in an enterprise distribution?

I'm not sure whether enterprise solutions should use this kind of hacks...

maybe multiple squid servers running on multiple ports, see
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/MultipleInstances
10 GOTO 10 : REM (C) Bill Gates 1998, All Rights Reserved!

Re: MAXHTTPORTS CentOS 6

On 04/02/2017 03:01 AM, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:

> What do you think about including a patch to squid stable release?

A high-quality patch removing the limit should be welcomed IMO. However,
implementing this change correctly is difficult, and there are much
bigger problems to solve if somebody has the time and the skills...

> I'm not sure whether enterprise solutions should use this kind of hacks...

True, but a non-enterprise use case alone is not a valid justification
for having a limit. Besides, I have seen "enterprise" deployments that
had to raise the limit.

Re: MAXHTTPORTS CentOS 6

How many ports do you need?
Depends on the number I will decide if to patch Squid RPM's.

On 2/04/2017 9:01 p.m., Eliezer  Croitoru wrote:
> Well I can patch the RPM I am publishing with such a things but I will need Amos Or Alex describe to me the possible effects such a patch and in what limits we are talking about.
>
> Amos, Alex:
> What do you think about including a patch to squid stable release?
> What is the right limit? Would it be wise to embed in an enterprise distribution?

The limit is currently 128.

You build Squid-3.5 with -DMAXTCPLISTENPORTS=blah to change it.

Re: MAXHTTPORTS CentOS 6

Eliezer Croitoru
Amos still the question in hands is very simple:
Would it matter if I will upper the limit to 16384?
For example would it result in some memory overhead?

On 4/04/2017 7:39 a.m., Eliezer  Croitoru wrote:
> Amos still the question in hands is very simple:
> Would it matter if I will upper the limit to 16384?
> For example would it result in some memory overhead?

The usual answer applies - "it depends".

Some of the I/O modules (eg select and poll) require each special port
to be explicitly polled once every 10ms. The epoll/kqueue etc, only poll
them when other things do I/O and no less than every 10ms. So you need a
very fast server or it will kill performance for anything else.

And yes, having configuration state for each port means a lot more
memory used. These daya the use of TLS on ports means OpenSSL loads the
full set of trusted CAs into that state. So it can get VERY huge for no
obvious reason.

I dont think it is wise to embed larger limits. The one we have is an
order of magnitude larger than necessary for most installs. So it is not
generally useful.

All of the above is why there is no ./configure option. But there have
been a handful of queries wanting more, so the build option is conditional.

HTH

Re: MAXHTTPORTS CentOS 6

Eliezer Croitoru
OK so I will stick with the default since it makes more sense that it fit's most of the regular use cases.
If someone needs a special build he should be able to handle a self compiled squid.