NEGATIVE_HIT

Paul Bertain
HI All,

We are experiencing a fairly regular occurance of Negative hits.  If
I understand correctly, this is when the Squid parent thinks it has a
copy of the object but the object does not exist where it thought it
had it anymore.  Is this correct?  I have altered the ExpiresDefault
directive in Apache for my web server to see if the time the
NEGATIVE_HIT lasts is shorter but I was wondering if the best way to
clear that out is through Cachemgr using squidclient (which I am
having troubles setting up):

squidclient -r -v -p 80 http://web.lipadesogesk.name/favicon.ico

and here is a sample NEGATIVE_HIT log entry:

75.62.2.60 - - [08/Sep/2007:09:21:32 -0500] "GET http://
web.lipadesogesk.name/favicon.ico HTTP/1.1" 403 1579
TCP_NEGATIVE_HIT:NONE

Thanks,
Paul

Re: NEGATIVE_HIT

Henrik Nordström
On lör, 2007-09-08 at 09:15 -0700, Paul Bertain wrote:
> HI All,
>
> We are experiencing a fairly regular occurance of Negative hits.  If
> I understand correctly, this is when the Squid parent thinks it has a
> copy of the object but the object does not exist where it thought it
> had it anymore.  Is this correct?

No, negative hits is when an earlier error is seen in response to the
request.

403 is "Forbidden/Access denied".

> I have altered the ExpiresDefault
> directive in Apache for my web server to see if the time the
> NEGATIVE_HIT lasts is shorter but I was wondering if the best way to
> clear that out is through Cachemgr using squidclient (which I am
> having troubles setting up):

Errors generally do not have expiry information. Instead the
negative_ttl from squid.conf is used.

> and here is a sample NEGATIVE_HIT log entry:
>
> 75.62.2.60 - - [08/Sep/2007:09:21:32 -0500] "GET http://
> web.lipadesogesk.name/favicon.ico HTTP/1.1" 403 1579
> TCP_NEGATIVE_HIT:NONE

To find when the error which was cached you have to scroll back to the
last non-negative request for this URL. Should have been a 403 response.
Usually a TCP_MISS.

Regards
Henrik