[OT] about "Free software only dies when the last copy of the source code is erased"

[OT] about "Free software only dies when the last copy of the source code is erased"

lucas coudures
I wrote something to explain what I mean to say when i said
"I can't implement this if the proyect is dead "

http://lucas-coudures.blogspot.com/2007/06/cuando-muere-un-proyecto-de-software.html

I am sorry because i can't explain very well in English so a wrote
this in Spanish, someone in this mailing list speak Spanish??

--
Lucas Coudures

Registered Linux User #442566
Blog: http://lucas-coudures.blogspot.com/
Jabber: [hidden email]
Este mensaje no contiene virus, debido a que todo su contenido se ha
generado bajo Linux.

Dead is a matter of definition. Free software only dies when the last
copy of the source code is erased.

Re: [OT] about "Free software only dies when the last copy of the source code is erased"

Henrik Nordström
tis 2007-06-05 klockan 14:49 -0300 skrev lucas coudures:

> I wrote something to explain what I mean to say when i said
> "I can't implement this if the proyect is dead "

I don't speek Spanish, but we all understood you I think. It's a matter
of mindset about software and therefore my comment.

If that project does what you need (or close to) and you like it, it's
in your best interest to find resources capable of maintaining the
project to your needs.  Sometimes it's sufficient to just talk about the
project, sometimes this involves actually having your own or hiring
other people working on it.

The starting point that "I can not use the software because.." isn't
very helpful for anyone. The slight change in mindset to "To use the
software I need .." is a much better mindset.

Regards
Henrik

Re: [OT] about "Free software only dies when the last copy of the source code is erased"

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel

Re: [OT] about "Free software only dies when the last copy of the source code is erased"

lucas coudures
thank you
i hope to be helpful for squid.

We now know that proxymin is not what we need, so two friends are
going to help me to do something in php to change the acl rules with a
web page.

we implement squid in a electronic lab in my university so i will send
how the proyect grows.

--
Lucas Coudures "from Argentina"

ons 2007-06-06 klockan 11:45 -0300 skrev Felipe Augusto van de Wiel:

> So, just for the record and to try to help, Lucas tried
> to explain in his blog entry why is important to know English and
> that sometimes a misunderstood can occur because of a bad use of
> certain word.

Well, my response would have been about the same but slightly different
wording if he had used abandoned instead of dead.

> AIUI, he doesn't want to offend somebody and/or project
> and that was a misunderstood resulted by the wrong words in the
> context. ;)   And looks like he also agrees that "free software
> only dies when the last copy of source code is erased".

None offended. It's just a friendly discussion.

Regards
Henrik