Odd behavior on CNAME

Felix Falk
Hi,
I have a linkchecker running over Squid as forwardproxy. One Site is not longer existing but DNS still has a CNAME Record except the CNAME is pointing nowhere:

> $ host de.sitestat.com
> de.sitestat.com is an alias for wildcard.sitestat.com.
> $ host wildcard.sitestat.com.
> $

If called via curl:

> $ curl --proxy forwardproxy:3128 -v http://de.sitestat.com/
> * About to connect() to proxy forwardproxy.rz.babiel.com port 3128 (#0)
> *   Trying 192.168.110.215...
> * Connected to forwardproxy.rz.babiel.com (192.168.110.215) port 3128 (#0)
> > GET http://de.sitestat.com/ HTTP/1.1
> > Host: de.sitestat.com
> > Accept: */*
> > Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive

The connection and this curl stays open for literally infinitely. (tested for 3 days).

In the Squid access.log nothing shows up. My cache.log has:
> 2019/01/14 11:30:31 kid1| ipcacheParse: No Address records in response to 'de.sitestat.com'

Any ideas how to solve this or is this simply a bug?

Felix

Re: Odd behavior on CNAME

Eliezer Croitoru

It should return:

<!-- ERR_DNS_FAIL -->

… page.

And it takes 100 ms.

Can you re-test it?

Also make sure what happens if you run the same command from within the proxy host and not remotely.

Another option is that there is something else between you and the proxy but it sound odd.

I have a linkchecker running over Squid as forwardproxy. One Site is not longer existing but DNS still has a CNAME Record except the CNAME is pointing nowhere:

> $ host de.sitestat.com
> de.sitestat.com is an alias for wildcard.sitestat.com.
> $ host wildcard.sitestat.com.
> $

If called via curl:

> $ curl --proxy forwardproxy:3128 -v http://de.sitestat.com/
> * About to connect() to proxy forwardproxy.rz.babiel.com port 3128 (#0)
> *   Trying 192.168.110.215...
> * Connected to forwardproxy.rz.babiel.com (192.168.110.215) port 3128 (#0)
> > GET http://de.sitestat.com/ HTTP/1.1
> > Host: de.sitestat.com
> > Accept: */*
> > Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive

The connection and this curl stays open for literally infinitely. (tested for 3 days).

In the Squid access.log nothing shows up. My cache.log has:
> 2019/01/14 11:30:31 kid1| ipcacheParse: No Address records in response to 'de.sitestat.com'

Any ideas how to solve this or is this simply a bug?

Felix

Re: Odd behavior on CNAME

Felix Falk
Hi,

I probably should mention:
- other working sites are doing fine over the proxy
- domains without any record are throwing the mentioned error properly

Felix

--
Felix Falk
@theftf

OpenPGP Fingerprint: B8F6 590B F4B1 19F6 AE94 D24E D91B 960B 97E1 6444

Von meinem mobilen Plemplemplicator gesendet

Re: Odd behavior on CNAME

On 1/14/19 3:51 AM, Felix Falk wrote:

> I have a linkchecker running over Squid as forwardproxy. One Site is not
> longer existing but DNS still has a CNAME Record except the CNAME is
> pointing nowhere:
>
>> $ host de.sitestat.com
>> de.sitestat.com is an alias for wildcard.sitestat.com.
>> $ host wildcard.sitestat.com.
>> $
>
> If called via curl:
>> $ curl --proxy forwardproxy:3128 -v http://de.sitestat.com/
>> * About to connect() to proxy forwardproxy.rz.babiel.com port 3128 (#0)
>> *   Trying 192.168.110.215...
>> * Connected to forwardproxy.rz.babiel.com (192.168.110.215) port 3128 (#0)
>> > GET http://de.sitestat.com/ HTTP/1.1
>> > Host: de.sitestat.com
>> > Accept: */*
>> > Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive
>> >

> The connection and this curl stays open for literally infinitely.
> (tested for 3 days).
>
> In the Squid access.log nothing shows up. My cache.log has:
>> 2019/01/14 11:30:31 kid1| ipcacheParse: No Address records in response
> to 'de.sitestat.com'
>
> Any ideas how to solve this or is this simply a bug?

I suggest reporting a bug if you can reproduce with the latest v4
release. Posting a (link to) compressed ALL,9 cache.log to bugzilla may
speed up triage.

FWIW, using v5-based code, your test worked for me with an immediate
ERR_CANNOT_FORWARD error and the following level-1 cache.log entry:

2019/01/14 09:04:58| DNS error while resolving de.sitestat.com: No valid
address records