Official Docker Image?

David Barratt
Would a maintainer be willing to submit a request for an official docker image of Squid?
https://github.com/docker-library/official-images

I would love to do this, but they need maintainers of the project to submit the request. I am certainly willing to help make a docker image for Squid, but a repo ("squid-docker"?) will need to be created under the squid org (https://github.com/squid-cache).

Re: Official Docker Image?

Alex Rousskov
On 10/16/2017 04:05 PM, David Barratt wrote:
> but a repo ("squid-docker"?) will need to be created under the squid org

The only checklist I found[1] says "associated with or contacted
upstream" so it looks like you can do it without creating a repository
inside the squid-cache organization. Moreover, there are official docker
repositories that the Docker team maintains on their own (e.g., Apache
httpd [2]).

[1]
https://github.com/docker-library/official-images/blob/master/NEW-IMAGE-CHECKLIST.md

[2] https://github.com/docker-library/httpd

FWIW, I do no object to creating a squid-docker repository in the
squid-cache organization if others think we should do it, but since the
Project resources are already spread too thin, I recommend creating that
repository in your own GitHub account if possible. A Project admin can
comment on your Docker PR that we are very happy with your contribution
(which would be a one-time action rather than a yet another small but
on-going administration/maintenance burden).

Thank you,

Re: Official Docker Image?

What version of squid should be installed?
Also what base Linux distribution should we use?
Since it's Docker container it won't be simple to use it as a gateway router and will only be usable as a simple forward proxy with or without ssl-bump.
Since I already package squid for many OS I believe you can choose one of these and then use a specific mounted directory for persistent settings.

http://ngtech.co.il/lmgtfy/

On 18/10/17 12:54, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> What version of squid should be installed?
> Also what base Linux distribution should we use?
> Since it's Docker container it won't be simple to use it as a gateway router and will only be usable as a simple forward proxy with or without ssl-bump.
> Since I already package squid for many OS I believe you can choose one of these and then use a specific mounted directory for persistent settings.

All of the Squid modes of operation are relatively easy in a docker
container, no more complex than in a VM and there are more than a
handful of companies already providing Squid based VM products.

It would be very hard to setup One True Image for Docker because there
are so many use-cases that Squid satisfies - many of which involve
conflicting configuration details. This same reason is part of why we
provide the wiki ConfigExample section(s) instead of shipping example
config files for each popular use-case.

Re: Official Docker Image?

Eray Aslan-2
On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 06:12:33PM +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> It would be very hard to setup One True Image for Docker because there
> are so many use-cases that Squid satisfies - many of which involve
> conflicting configuration details.

That is true, although perhaps to a lesser extent, for a lot of
projects.  Just choose a simple config - say forward proxy, no ssl-bump,
no persistant storage etc - and let the sysadmin deal the rest.  Your
CI/CD setup should be able to automate the process with relative ease.

--
Eray