Quantcast

On using Parent Proxies

Jude Karuhanga
Hello there,

I am new to squid, and would appreciate some help on configuring my server to balance traffic between two servers that serve as Gateways to the Internet. I attach a simplified configuration file for the squid service on the server. I have managed to get the service to work using the default gateway, but the redirection through the cache_peer does not work: I am unable to access the websites included, even though both servers are visible.

Thank you.

squid.conf - parent proxies (4K) Download Attachment

Re: On using Parent Proxies

On 7/02/2017 4:49 a.m., Jude Karuhanga wrote:

> Hello there,
>

> I am new to squid, and would appreciate some help on configuring my
> server to balance traffic between two servers that serve as Gateways
> to the Internet. I attach a simplified configuration file for the
> squid service on the server. I have managed to get the service to
> work using the default gateway, but the redirection through the
> cache_peer does not work: I am unable to access the websites
> included, even though both servers are visible.

Please begin by running "squid -k parse" and fix all the warnings and
errors it reports.

Also;

* "cache deny CONNECT" is pointless. CONNECT traffic cannot be cached.

* a series of "allow" lines followed by an "allow all" is usually
pointless. Just use one line doing "allow all".
 - same for a series of "deny" lines followed by a "deny all".

* For all the lines you have which do this pattern:
"
 ... allow/deny __domain__squid_2
 ... allow/deny CONNECT __domain__squid_2
"
 that second line is pointless. The first line already matches and
allows/denies the CONNECT traffic which the second might match.

Then add "nonhierarchical_direct off".

For info on how load balancing works in Squid see
<http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/LoadBalance>

If you still have problems after all that, pelase provide a bit more
details about what you see that is telling you its "not working".

Re: On using Parent Proxies

On 8/02/2017 12:50 a.m., Jude Karuhanga wrote:
> Hello there,
>

> Thanks for the reply. There seem to be no errors in the file (there
> are none returned by "squid -k parse"). The service seems to be
> working, especially after I included the external network on the
> ACLs.

Then your Squid needs an upgrade. The config file indicates it is for
3.5.20. But Squid-3 '-k parse' will absolutely complain when obsolete
Squid-2 directives are passed to them. Your config file contains at
least 3 such obsolete directives (no_cache).

It also uses QUERY ACL before defining what QUERY is.

> I was looking for a schematic explanation on how to configure my
> network to effectively distribute traffic. I attach a scheme of the
> setup (one central Server and two Gateways connected to Routers).

Please define "effectively distribute" ?

You asked how to do "load balancing". The URL I referenced already
covers all the ways Squid can load balance. *Which* one is "effective"
depends on what you want to happen.

Your config file shows someone halfway through testing whether a
particular client->squid->proxy->Internet pathway works. Which is fine,
actually a good way to go about the change. One step at a time.

For info on the pieces needed for creating cache hierarchies see the top
two sections of <http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/CacheHierarchy>.

Re: On using Parent Proxies

senor
Side note...
no_cache is not flagged as an error in 3.5.24.
If it is misconfigured you will get a notice though. It seems to be
treated as a legit alias.

Senor