PID file /var/run/squid.pid not readable AND Supervising process XXX which is not our child

PID file /var/run/squid.pid not readable AND Supervising process XXX which is not our child

Roberto Carna
Dear, I have Squid/Dansguardian in a Debian 9 server.

My Squid packages is from Debian repo, it is the stable version:

squid                          3.5.23-5+deb9u1

After execute "squid -k parse" everything is OK:

# systemctl status squid
● squid.service - LSB: Squid HTTP Proxy version 3.x
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/squid; generated; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Wed 2018-05-09 20:30:36 -03; 2min 24s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  Process: 829 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/squid start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 895 (squid)
    Tasks: 7 (limit: 4915)
   CGroup: /system.slice/squid.service
           ├─893 /usr/sbin/squid -YC -f /etc/squid/squid.conf
           ├─895 (squid-1) -YC -f /etc/squid/squid.conf
           ├─896 (pinger)
           ├─932 (squid_ldap_auth) -b dc=company,dc=com -f uid=%s -h
ldap.company.com -v 3
           ├─933 (squid_ldap_auth) -b dc=company,dc=com -f uid=%s -h
ldap.company.com -v 3
           ├─934 (squid_ldap_auth) -b dc=company,dc=com -f uid=%s -h
ldap.company.com -v 3
           └─935 (squid_ldap_auth) -b dc=company,dc=com  -f uid=%s -h
ldap.company.com -v 3

May 09 20:30:35 proxy-nuevo systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Squid HTTP Proxy
version 3.x...
May 09 20:30:35 proxy-nuevo squid[893]: Squid Parent: will start 1 kids
May 09 20:30:35 proxy-nuevo squid[829]: Starting Squid HTTP Proxy: squid.
May 09 20:30:35 proxy-nuevo squid[893]: Squid Parent: (squid-1)
process 895 started
May 09 20:30:35 proxy-nuevo systemd[1]: squid.service: PID file
/var/run/squid.pid not readable (yet?) after start: No such file or
directory
May 09 20:30:36 proxy-nuevo systemd[1]: squid.service: Supervising
process 895 which is not our child. We'll most likely not notice when
it exits.
May 09 20:30:36 proxy-nuevo systemd[1]: Started LSB: Squid HTTP Proxy
version 3.x.

But when I read I notice two curious lines:

systemd[1]: squid.service: PID file /var/run/squid.pid not readable
(yet?) after start: No such file or directory
systemd[1]: squid.service: Supervising process 895 which is not our
child. We'll most likely not notice when it exits.

Is it normal or do I have to solve these? I repeat Squid is running OK...

Thanks

Re: PID file /var/run/squid.pid not readable AND Supervising process XXX which is not our child

On 10/05/18 11:53, Roberto Carna wrote:
> Dear, I have Squid/Dansguardian in a Debian 9 server.
>
> My Squid packages is from Debian repo, it is the stable version:
>
> squid                          3.5.23-5+deb9u1

> But when I read I notice two curious lines:
>
> systemd[1]: squid.service: PID file /var/run/squid.pid not readable
> (yet?) after start: No such file or directory
> systemd[1]: squid.service: Supervising process 895 which is not our
> child. We'll most likely not notice when it exits.
>

> Is it normal or do I have to solve these? I repeat Squid is running OK...

systemd cannot cope with daemons like Squid-3. All you can do for now is
ensure that you use the init.d scripts to manage Squid. Do not use the
"service ..." commands provided by systemd.

Squid-4 packages that resolve these issues are in Debian experimental
awaiting an official upstream stable release.
 NP: the major bugs preventing upstream stable are not affecting the
Debian package features. You can use the Squid-4 package now if you wish
by adding that "experimental" repository to your apt sources.list,
update apt, then install/upgrade Squid with "apt-get -t experimental
install squid".

Re: PID file /var/run/squid.pid not readable AND Supervising process XXX which is not our child

Roberto Carna
Dear Amos, thanks for your response.

Just a short question: if I continue using my currenbt Squid version
with " squid.service: PID file /var/run/squid.pid not readable"
warning...can I have any problem or it doesn't represent any problem?

Regards!!!

On 11/05/18 00:48, Roberto Carna wrote:
> Dear Amos, thanks for your response.
>
> Just a short question: if I continue using my currenbt Squid version
> with " squid.service: PID file /var/run/squid.pid not readable"
> warning...can I have any problem or it doesn't represent any problem?

It represents a problem, because systemd may interfere with the
auto-restart built into Squid in the event of crashes etc.

However, that problem wont affect normal operation, just the crash
handling and startup/shutdown processes of Squid. So YMMV whether that
is an issue relevant to your installation.

HTH

Re: PID file /var/run/squid.pid not readable AND Supervising process XXX which is not our child

Roberto Carna
Dear, my problem is that I have two different implementations of Squid
/ Dansguardian for just 40/50 users for navigation, and sometimes the
web browsing is too slow without any clue about this, it's just better
if I restart both daemons:

1) squid                          3.5.23-5+deb9u1 / dansguardian
            2.10.1.1-5.1+b4
2) squid3                             3.1.20-2.2+deb7u8   /
dansguardian                       2.10.1.1-5+b1

I've adjusted both configurations but the problem of slow navigation
appears always.

So I'm thinking maybe is a problem of this packages combination (squid
+ dansguardian)...

Do you recommend upgrade to Debian testing version packages or just to
usetry with Squid + Squidguard ??'?

Special thanks !!!

Regards.

On 11/05/18 07:11, Roberto Carna wrote:

> Dear, my problem is that I have two different implementations of Squid
> / Dansguardian for just 40/50 users for navigation, and sometimes the
> web browsing is too slow without any clue about this, it's just better
> if I restart both daemons:
>
> 1) squid                          3.5.23-5+deb9u1 / dansguardian
>             2.10.1.1-5.1+b4
> 2) squid3                             3.1.20-2.2+deb7u8   /
> dansguardian                       2.10.1.1-5+b1
>
> I've adjusted both configurations but the problem of slow navigation
> appears always.
>
> So I'm thinking maybe is a problem of this packages combination (squid
> + dansguardian)...
>
> Do you recommend upgrade to Debian testing version packages or just to
> usetry with Squid + Squidguard ??'?

I certainly recommend upgrading the 3.1 package to 3.5 on general
principles - it has a lot of problems that are resolved in 3.5. Is/was
there a specific reason for that old version to still be present?

You should probably try the v4 squid package and see if it is better.
Without knowing the actual reason for the delays I'm reluctant to make a
specific recommendation for any software.

Re: PID file /var/run/squid.pid not readable AND Supervising process XXX which is not our child

Alex K
Getting back to this, I face also issues that seems to be related with how systemd handles squid.
Frequently when I try restart the VM the VM is stuch at stopping squid and it never restarts.

Checking the differences between the autogenerated service file and the one shipped with squid I see:

diff /run/systemd/generator.late/squid.service squid3-3.5.23/tools/systemd/squid.service
1c1,6
< # Automatically generated by systemd-sysv-generator
---
> ## Copyright (C) 1996-2016 The Squid Software Foundation and contributors
> ##
> ## Squid software is distributed under GPLv2+ license and includes
> ## contributions from numerous individuals and organizations.
> ## Please see the COPYING and CONTRIBUTORS files for details.
> ##
4,14c9,10
< Documentation=man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
< SourcePath=/etc/init.d/squid
< Description=LSB: Squid HTTP Proxy version 3.x
< Before=multi-user.target
< Before=multi-user.target
< Before=multi-user.target
< Before=graphical.target
< After=network-online.target
< After=remote-fs.target
< After=nss-lookup.target
< Wants=network-online.target
---
> Description=Squid Web Proxy Server
> After=network.target
17,20c13,15
< Type=forking
< Restart=no
< TimeoutSec=5min
< IgnoreSIGPIPE=no
---
> Type=simple
> ExecStart=/usr/sbin/squid -sYC -N
> ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID
22,28c17,19
< GuessMainPID=no
< RemainAfterExit=no
< PIDFile=/var/run/squid.pid
< SuccessExitStatus=5 6
< ExecStart=/etc/init.d/squid start
< ExecStop=/etc/init.d/squid stop
< ExecReload=/etc/init.d/squid reload
---

> [Install]
> WantedBy=multi-user.target

So do I just overwrite the  squid.service of the system with the one shipped with squid?

Thanx,
Alex

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 5:09 AM, Amos Jeffries <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/05/18 11:53, Roberto Carna wrote:
> Dear, I have Squid/Dansguardian in a Debian 9 server.
>
> My Squid packages is from Debian repo, it is the stable version:
>
> squid                          3.5.23-5+deb9u1
>
> But when I read I notice two curious lines:
>
> systemd[1]: squid.service: PID file /var/run/squid.pid not readable
> (yet?) after start: No such file or directory
> systemd[1]: squid.service: Supervising process 895 which is not our
> child. We'll most likely not notice when it exits.
>

> Is it normal or do I have to solve these? I repeat Squid is running OK...

systemd cannot cope with daemons like Squid-3. All you can do for now is
ensure that you use the init.d scripts to manage Squid. Do not use the
"service ..." commands provided by systemd.

Squid-4 packages that resolve these issues are in Debian experimental
awaiting an official upstream stable release.
 NP: the major bugs preventing upstream stable are not affecting the
Debian package features. You can use the Squid-4 package now if you wish
by adding that "experimental" repository to your apt sources.list,
update apt, then install/upgrade Squid with "apt-get -t experimental
install squid".

Re: PID file /var/run/squid.pid not readable AND Supervising process XXX which is not our child

Alex K
After proceeding with using the shipped service file, then systemctl daemon-reload I do not experience any stuck reboots at the moment.

Alex

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 4:30 PM, Alex K <[hidden email]> wrote:
Getting back to this, I face also issues that seems to be related with how systemd handles squid.
Frequently when I try restart the VM the VM is stuch at stopping squid and it never restarts.

Checking the differences between the autogenerated service file and the one shipped with squid I see:

diff /run/systemd/generator.late/squid.service squid3-3.5.23/tools/systemd/squid.service
1c1,6
< # Automatically generated by systemd-sysv-generator
---
> ## Copyright (C) 1996-2016 The Squid Software Foundation and contributors
> ##
> ## Squid software is distributed under GPLv2+ license and includes
> ## contributions from numerous individuals and organizations.
> ## Please see the COPYING and CONTRIBUTORS files for details.
> ##
4,14c9,10
< Documentation=man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
< SourcePath=/etc/init.d/squid
< Description=LSB: Squid HTTP Proxy version 3.x
< Before=multi-user.target
< Before=multi-user.target
< Before=multi-user.target
< Before=graphical.target
< After=network-online.target
< After=remote-fs.target
< After=nss-lookup.target
< Wants=network-online.target
---
> Description=Squid Web Proxy Server
> After=network.target
17,20c13,15
< Type=forking
< Restart=no
< TimeoutSec=5min
< IgnoreSIGPIPE=no
---
> Type=simple
> ExecStart=/usr/sbin/squid -sYC -N
> ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID
22,28c17,19
< GuessMainPID=no
< RemainAfterExit=no
< PIDFile=/var/run/squid.pid
< SuccessExitStatus=5 6
< ExecStart=/etc/init.d/squid start
< ExecStop=/etc/init.d/squid stop
< ExecReload=/etc/init.d/squid reload
---

> [Install]
> WantedBy=multi-user.target

So do I just overwrite the  squid.service of the system with the one shipped with squid?

Thanx,
Alex

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 5:09 AM, Amos Jeffries <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/05/18 11:53, Roberto Carna wrote:
> Dear, I have Squid/Dansguardian in a Debian 9 server.
>
> My Squid packages is from Debian repo, it is the stable version:
>
> squid                          3.5.23-5+deb9u1
>
> But when I read I notice two curious lines:
>
> systemd[1]: squid.service: PID file /var/run/squid.pid not readable
> (yet?) after start: No such file or directory
> systemd[1]: squid.service: Supervising process 895 which is not our
> child. We'll most likely not notice when it exits.
>

> Is it normal or do I have to solve these? I repeat Squid is running OK...

systemd cannot cope with daemons like Squid-3. All you can do for now is
ensure that you use the init.d scripts to manage Squid. Do not use the
"service ..." commands provided by systemd.

Squid-4 packages that resolve these issues are in Debian experimental
awaiting an official upstream stable release.
 NP: the major bugs preventing upstream stable are not affecting the
Debian package features. You can use the Squid-4 package now if you wish
by adding that "experimental" repository to your apt sources.list,
update apt, then install/upgrade Squid with "apt-get -t experimental
install squid".

Re: PID file /var/run/squid.pid not readable AND Supervising process XXX which is not our child

Hey Alex,

What OS exactly is shipping this service file?

Getting back to this, I face also issues that seems to be related with how systemd handles squid.

Frequently when I try restart the VM the VM is stuch at stopping squid and it never restarts.

Checking the differences between the autogenerated service file and the one shipped with squid I see:

diff /run/systemd/generator.late/squid.service squid3-3.5.23/tools/systemd/squid.service
1c1,6
< # Automatically generated by systemd-sysv-generator
---
> ## Copyright (C) 1996-2016 The Squid Software Foundation and contributors
> ##
> ## Squid software is distributed under GPLv2+ license and includes
> ## contributions from numerous individuals and organizations.
> ## Please see the COPYING and CONTRIBUTORS files for details.
> ##
4,14c9,10
< Documentation=man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
< SourcePath=/etc/init.d/squid
< Description=LSB: Squid HTTP Proxy version 3.x
< Before=multi-user.target
< Before=multi-user.target
< Before=multi-user.target
< Before=graphical.target
< After=network-online.target
< After=remote-fs.target
< After=nss-lookup.target
< Wants=network-online.target
---
> Description=Squid Web Proxy Server
> After=network.target
17,20c13,15
< Type=forking
< Restart=no
< TimeoutSec=5min
< IgnoreSIGPIPE=no
---

On 11/06/18 14:03, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> Hey Alex,
>
> What OS exactly is shipping this service file?

From the first post:

> 3.5.23-5+deb9u1

Current Debian stable. It is not shipped exactly, but generates on
install from the init.d file inserv headers in the absence of a shipped
.service.

"
 # Automatically generated by systemd-sysv-generator
 SourcePath=/etc/init.d/squid
"

Re: PID file /var/run/squid.pid not readable AND Supervising process XXX which is not our child

Eliezer Croitoru
It was hard for me to understand the diff\patch without the original file in plain text.
< GuessMainPID=no
< RemainAfterExit=no
< PIDFile=/var/run/squid.pid
< SuccessExitStatus=5 6
< ExecStart=/etc/init.d/squid start
< ExecStop=/etc/init.d/squid stop
< ExecReload=/etc/init.d/squid reload

The above now makes more sense but.. replacing the service file and removing the /etc/init.d/squid file should be the real way to run squid.
I do not know if and when Debian Stable would upgrade their package but as long as you don't upgrade it automatically it would be suffice.

On 11/06/18 14:03, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> Hey Alex,
>
> What OS exactly is shipping this service file?

From the first post:

On 11/06/18 19:11, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:

> It was hard for me to understand the diff\patch without the original file in plain text.
> < GuessMainPID=no
> < RemainAfterExit=no
> < PIDFile=/var/run/squid.pid
> < SuccessExitStatus=5 6
> < ExecStart=/etc/init.d/squid start
> < ExecStop=/etc/init.d/squid stop
> < ExecReload=/etc/init.d/squid reload
>
> The above now makes more sense but.. replacing the service file and removing the /etc/init.d/squid file should be the real way to run squid.

That assumes that systemd is going to be the init. Debian allows user
replacement of the init system with at least three to choose from. So
multiple init files need to be installed. This is just how it handles
the absence of a .service file for the newer default init while packages
transition to supporting both.

Re: PID file /var/run/squid.pid not readable AND Supervising process XXX which is not our child

Alex K

Had no more issues after using the service file shipped with source code.

What I did was:
cp squid.service /etc/systemd/system
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl enable squid
systemctl start squid

Alex

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018, 10:11 Eliezer Croitoru <[hidden email]> wrote:
It was hard for me to understand the diff\patch without the original file in plain text.
< GuessMainPID=no
< RemainAfterExit=no
< PIDFile=/var/run/squid.pid
< SuccessExitStatus=5 6
< ExecStart=/etc/init.d/squid start
< ExecStop=/etc/init.d/squid stop
< ExecReload=/etc/init.d/squid reload

The above now makes more sense but.. replacing the service file and removing the /etc/init.d/squid file should be the real way to run squid.
I do not know if and when Debian Stable would upgrade their package but as long as you don't upgrade it automatically it would be suffice.

On 11/06/18 14:03, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> Hey Alex,
>
> What OS exactly is shipping this service file?

From the first post: