Problem with SQUID using HTTPS_PORT 443

Xavier Lassoie

Hi all,

I have a problem configuring SQUID to use port 443 as HTTPS_PORT. As it is a port below 1024, I have an error in logs ("Permission denied") so I try to start SQUID as root but it does not work (the logs say that it is unsecure).

I need to use port 443 as I want to reverse proxy to an IIS website and I don't want to use the firewall to redirect port.

So my question is : how can I start SQUID as root ?

Another question is : is it possible to reverse proxy from HTTPS to HTTPS ? INTERNET <--- HTTPS ---> SQUID <--- HTTPS ---> IIS

I use RHEL 4.0 with SQUID 2.5 patch 14.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Re: Problem with SQUID using HTTPS_PORT 443

Henrik Nordström
mån 2007-05-21 klockan 09:30 +0000 skrev Xavier Lassoie:

> I have a problem configuring SQUID to use port 443 as HTTPS_PORT. As
> it is a port below 1024, I have an error in logs ("Permission denied")
> so I try to start SQUID as root but it does not work (the logs say
> that it is unsecure).

To use ports <1024 you need to

1. Start Squid as root.

2. Have a valid non-root used configured as cache_effective_user in
squid.conf.

Regards
Henrik