Proxy through another proxy possible?

xpro6000
I'm not sure if Squid is the right tool for this. I'm trying to achieve
the following.

I would have access to some exclusive proxies, but I would like for a
limited amount of people to use these proxies without getting the
original proxy IP. I want them to go through my proxy server and then my
proxy server would forward them to the proxy I use.

Would this be possible with Squid?

Re: Proxy through another proxy possible?

On 07/04/18 11:34, xpro wrote:

> I'm not sure if Squid is the right tool for this. I'm trying to achieve
> the following.
>
> I would have access to some exclusive proxies, but I would like for a
> limited amount of people to use these proxies without getting the
> original proxy IP. I want them to go through my proxy server and then my
> proxy server would forward them to the proxy I use.
>

> Would this be possible with Squid?

Of course. I'm not exactly clear on what you mean by original or
exclusive proxies, but HTTP and Squid are certainly able to chain.

Re: Proxy through another proxy possible?

xpro6000
Would it be done like below?

http_port 3001
acl port1 myport 3001
tcp_outgoing_address myotherproxy.com:3114 port1

I want anyone connecting to my proxy using port 3001, to use the the
proxy server on myotherproxy.com:3114

On 07/04/18 18:02, xpro wrote:
> Would it be done like below?
>
> http_port 3001
> acl port1 myport 3001
> tcp_outgoing_address myotherproxy.com:3114 port1
>

> I want anyone connecting to my proxy using port 3001, to use the the
> proxy server on myotherproxy.com:3114

No. tcp_outgoing_address is the IP your Squid uses on its outgoing TCP
connections.

cache_peer is for configuring destination details about any specific
peer (upstream server or proxy) to relay messages through.
 see <https://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/CacheHierarchy>

Amos

> On 04/07/2018 01:05 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> On 07/04/18 11:34, xpro wrote:
>>> I'm not sure if Squid is the right tool for this. I'm trying to achieve
>>> the following.
>>>
>>> I would have access to some exclusive proxies, but I would like for a
>>> limited amount of people to use these proxies without getting the
>>> original proxy IP. I want them to go through my proxy server and then my
>>> proxy server would forward them to the proxy I use.
>>>

>>> Would this be possible with Squid?
>> Of course. I'm not exactly clear on what you mean by original or
>> exclusive proxies, but HTTP and Squid are certainly able to chain.
>>
>> Amos

Re: Proxy through another proxy possible?

xpro6000
Thank you. I did get it to work with snippet below

cache_peer myproxy.com parent 3114 0 no-query default
never_direct allow all

can you tell me how I can assign different ports to different outgoing
proxies?

On 04/07/2018 02:30 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> On 07/04/18 18:02, xpro wrote:
>> Would it be done like below?
>>
>> http_port 3001
>> acl port1 myport 3001
>> tcp_outgoing_address myotherproxy.com:3114 port1
>>

>> I want anyone connecting to my proxy using port 3001, to use the the
>> proxy server on myotherproxy.com:3114
> No. tcp_outgoing_address is the IP your Squid uses on its outgoing TCP
> connections.
>
> cache_peer is for configuring destination details about any specific
> peer (upstream server or proxy) to relay messages through.
>   see <https://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/CacheHierarchy>
>
> Amos

>>> Of course. I'm not exactly clear on what you mean by original or
>>> exclusive proxies, but HTTP and Squid are certainly able to chain.
>>>
>>> Amos

Re: Proxy through another proxy possible?

Hey Amos,

Would a PROXY protocol based "router" or "load balancer" be fine also?
I tested the PROXY protocol v1 against squid v3.5 at the time and It was working very well.
I believe that if the requirement is to be able to route specific clients to a specific proxy it should  be or might be done with as lowest CPU as possible.
It will however change for the case when the local proxy also needs to process specific traffic.

On 10/04/18 13:30, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> Hey Amos,
>
> Would a PROXY protocol based "router" or "load balancer" be fine also?

Anything that acts like a S-NAT would do.

Re: Proxy through another proxy possible?

Hey,

If the snipper works for you then you should be able to use a simple ACL that will pass all traffic of a certain http_port to a specific proxy.
However depends on the scenario there are couple things to consider in terms performance of this system.

All The Bests,

On 09/04/18 01:06, xpro wrote:
> Thank you. I did get it to work with snippet below
>
> cache_peer myproxy.com parent 3114 0 no-query default
> never_direct allow all
>

> can you tell me how I can assign different ports to different outgoing
> proxies?

What do you mean by assign ports?