Quantcast

Re: Squid 2.6.STABLE12 and ICAP

Jeremy Lardon
Henrik Nordstrom a écrit :

> fre 2007-05-04 klockan 11:27 +0200 skrev Ghislain:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> there is a compilation error on a squid 2.6.STABLE12 with the client
>> ICAP.
>>

> There is no maintained ICAP patch for Squid-2.6.STABLE. If you want
> Squid-2 with ICAP then please get Squid-2.HEAD and the ICAP patch from
> devel.squid-cache.org.
>
> But I would recommend you to try out Squid-3 ICAP instead. Get a nightly
> Squid-3 snapshot, and the Squid-3 ICAP patch from devel.squid-cache.org
> (the patch fixes a few problems with Squid-3).
>
> Regards
> Henrik

Hi,

I got some interest in Squid/ICAP architecture.
So I tried to patch the nightly snapshot but a large amount of code is
already in the Squid-3 source.
Consequently, I wonder what may be the best :
  - try to see if all rejections by the patch command are due to the
existence of the code in the source else add the differences,
  - look for the version with which the ICAP patch has be created and
apply the patch on it.

The first possibility is very time-consuming while the second one need
the help of Alex Rousskov (according to the Squid development projects
page).

N.B. : Another question to the ICAP users, which ICAP server do you use ?

Thanks in advance,

--
Jérémy Lardon
Laboratoire DIOM, équipe SATIn - Doctorant
04 77 48 50 34

Re: Squid 2.6.STABLE12 and ICAP

Henrik Nordström
mån 2007-05-14 klockan 12:14 +0200 skrev Jeremy Lardon:

> I got some interest in Squid/ICAP architecture.
> So I tried to patch the nightly snapshot but a large amount of code is
> already in the Squid-3 source.

Sounds like Alex has forgot to run cvsmerge after his last batch of icap
patches, or that something has gone wrong somewhere..

Looking at the CVS trees I see that Alex ran cvsmerge a couple of days
ago, so I can only assume something has gone wrong somewhere. Hmm..
looks like the downloadable patches isn't getting updated properly. I'll
look into why..

> Consequently, I wonder what may be the best :
>   - try to see if all rejections by the patch command are due to the
> existence of the code in the source else add the differences,
>   - look for the version with which the ICAP patch has be created and
> apply the patch on it.

Or check out the squid3-icap CVS branch from devel.squid-cache.org.

http://devel.squid-cache.org/CVS.html

that way you get a complete tree, ready for you to run "bootstrap.sh"
and then compile..

Regards
Henrik

Re: Squid 2.6.STABLE12 and ICAP

Tsantilas Christos
Hi Jeremy,

   Just use the latest nightly snapshot of squid3.
Should be OK.

Regards,
      Christos

Jeremy Lardon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got some interest in Squid/ICAP architecture.
> So I tried to patch the nightly snapshot but a large amount of code is
> already in the Squid-3 source.
> Consequently, I wonder what may be the best :
>  - try to see if all rejections by the patch command are due to the
> existence of the code in the source else add the differences,
>  - look for the version with which the ICAP patch has be created and
> apply the patch on it.
>
> The first possibility is very time-consuming while the second one need
> the help of Alex Rousskov (according to the Squid development projects
> page).
>

> N.B. : Another question to the ICAP users, which ICAP server do you use ?
>
> Thanks in advance,

Re: Squid 2.6.STABLE12 and ICAP

Alex Rousskov
On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 17:29 +0300, Tsantilas Christos wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
>    Just use the latest nightly snapshot of squid3.
> Should be OK.

Yes, all my ICAP changes on the squid3-icap branch should be in the
nightly snapshot.

I have no idea what happened to the "downloadable patches", but I hope
that will be fixed soon as well, with Henrik's help. I probably did
something wrong, somewhere.

Please do not forget to report bugs to bugzilla :-)

Thank you,

Alex.

> Jeremy Lardon wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I got some interest in Squid/ICAP architecture.
> > So I tried to patch the nightly snapshot but a large amount of code is
> > already in the Squid-3 source.
> > Consequently, I wonder what may be the best :
> >  - try to see if all rejections by the patch command are due to the
> > existence of the code in the source else add the differences,
> >  - look for the version with which the ICAP patch has be created and
> > apply the patch on it.
> >
> > The first possibility is very time-consuming while the second one need
> > the help of Alex Rousskov (according to the Squid development projects
> > page).
> >

> > N.B. : Another question to the ICAP users, which ICAP server do you use ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,

Re: Squid 2.6.STABLE12 and ICAP

Ghislain Garçon

I've used :
cvs -d:pserver:[hidden email]:/cvsroot/squid co -
ricap-2_6 -d squid-2_6 squid

Is it the best way to get a stable and recent version of squid icap?

Thanks

Regards,

Ghislain

On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 18:09 +0200, Ghislain wrote:

> I've used :
> cvs -d:pserver:[hidden email]:/cvsroot/squid co -
> ricap-2_6 -d squid-2_6 squid
>
> Is it the best way to get a stable and recent version of squid icap?

A stable and recent version of Squid ICAP client is not available for
Squid2. You have to use Squid3 for that. Squid3 is not stable yet but it
is getting there and many folks are using it in production already. If
you experience ICAP-related bugs with Squid3, please file a bug report
and they will probably be fixed soon.

To try Squid3 (with ICAP) just use the nightly Squid3 snapshot. I
believe the Squid-3 ICAP patch from devel.squid-cache.org that Henrik
mentions below is currently stale and not needed.

Henrik, anything I should do to make the auto-generated patch on
devel.squid-cache.org reflect the current state of the ICAP branch?

Thank you,

Alex.

Alex Rousskov wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 18:09 +0200, Ghislain wrote:
>
>> I've used :
>> cvs -d:pserver:[hidden email]:/cvsroot/squid co -
>> ricap-2_6 -d squid-2_6 squid
>>
>> Is it the best way to get a stable and recent version of squid icap?
>
> A stable and recent version of Squid ICAP client is not available for
> Squid2. You have to use Squid3 for that. Squid3 is not stable yet but it
> is getting there and many folks are using it in production already. If
> you experience ICAP-related bugs with Squid3, please file a bug report
> and they will probably be fixed soon.
>
> To try Squid3 (with ICAP) just use the nightly Squid3 snapshot. I
> believe the Squid-3 ICAP patch from devel.squid-cache.org that Henrik
> mentions below is currently stale and not needed.
>
> Henrik, anything I should do to make the auto-generated patch on
> devel.squid-cache.org reflect the current state of the ICAP branch?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Alex.

I've been doing 'cvsmerge HEAD' after any code is moved up.
That updates the branch tags so the daily diff gets rebuilt without the
   uneeded bits of code.

tis 2007-05-15 klockan 13:06 -0600 skrev Alex Rousskov:

> Henrik, anything I should do to make the auto-generated patch on
> devel.squid-cache.org reflect the current state of the ICAP branch?

No. It's something with my patch scripts. Currently investigating.

Regards
Henrik

ons 2007-05-16 klockan 09:57 +0200 skrev Henrik Nordstrom:
> tis 2007-05-15 klockan 13:06 -0600 skrev Alex Rousskov:
>
> > Henrik, anything I should do to make the auto-generated patch on
> > devel.squid-cache.org reflect the current state of the ICAP branch?
>
> No. It's something with my patch scripts. Currently investigating.

Fixed, kind of... the patch scripts do a very simplistic text parsing of
the projects.html file, and failed to find the squid3-icap branch
because it used a slightly different HTML than the other projects..

Regards
Henrik