Reccommendation for ftp proxy software?

Michael St. Laurent
Greetings,

I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a linux based FTP proxy
with the same sort of NTLM auth capability as Squid?  I need to set up
something to proxy requests from Explorer as well as from FTP client
programs.

Re: Reccommendation for ftp proxy software?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
On 05.06.07 11:40, Michael St. Laurent wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a linux based FTP proxy
> with the same sort of NTLM auth capability as Squid?  I need to set up
> something to proxy requests from Explorer as well as from FTP client
> programs.

the FTP protocol does not support proxying, so you can't use NTLM
authentication with FTP proxy. You can use 'frox' which implements
intercepting FTP connections and maybe use external authentication with it.
However NTLM requires communication with client which is not applicable in
FTP.
I don't have lysdexia. The Dog wouldn't allow that.

Re: Reccommendation for ftp proxy software?

Henrik Nordström
tor 2007-06-07 klockan 11:05 +0200 skrev Matus UHLAR - fantomas:

> the FTP protocol does not support proxying, so you can't use NTLM
> authentication with FTP proxy. You can use 'frox' which implements
> intercepting FTP connections and maybe use external authentication with it.
> However NTLM requires communication with client which is not applicable in
> FTP.

Somehow MS does NTLM over FTP. Have not looked into details of how they
do it, but it's probably pretty straight-forward.

While it's true that FTP do not support proxies it do in theory support
any authentication scheme by using the AUTH command to negotiate the
method of authentication, with the plain-text just being one method of
authenticating. This extension is defined in RFC2228. So it should be
possible to use NTLM to authenticate to a FTP proxy, but not if that
proxy is to operate by the user@host FTP proxy scheme..

Regards
Henrik