Recompiling Squid3 for Mips hardware, enabling captive portal?

Recompiling Squid3 for Mips hardware, enabling captive portal?

David Mehler
Hello,

I used Squid 2 a while back, when my networks were different.

I'm now wanting to implement squid 3.x. I've got an Asus Rt-N66U
router, which I believe has a Mips processor on it. I am wondering how
to recompile Squid for Mips, or obtain the compilation script for the
entware version of squid and recompile that?

My goal is to compile in helpers for squid as well as captive portal
functionality.

Are there any helper libraries for squid3 to act as a captive portal?
I'm wanting to run a captive portal on my router for wireless clients,
looked in to chillispot but was wanting something recent and that has
documentation, so wanting to use squid.

Thanks.
Dave.

Re: Recompiling Squid3 for Mips hardware, enabling captive portal?

On 01/09/17 19:36, David Mehler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I used Squid 2 a while back, when my networks were different.
>
> I'm now wanting to implement squid 3.x. I've got an Asus Rt-N66U
> router, which I believe has a Mips processor on it.

That is something you will need to be sure of if you are unable to build
Squid natively on the device. Squid can be cross-built from another
machine, but you need to have used the right CPU-arch tuplets in the
--host and --build cross-build options to run the resulting binaries.

If you don't already know what I mean by cross-build and tuplets you
have some research to do before starting. :-)
OpenWRT has some fairly up to date info
<https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=52968>, not sure about Entware.

> I am wondering how
> to recompile Squid for Mips, or obtain the compilation script for the
> entware version of squid and recompile that?

CPU arch should only matter to your build tools so they can produce
binaries that run on the device. That is a general code building thing.

The issues specifically with building Squid will be whether you have
support in that devices OS for the Squid features you want to use.

Run 'squid -v' to retrieve the build options from an existing Squid if
you have or can find one for the device. Then figure out which ones you
want in your build.

> My goal is to compile in helpers for squid as well as captive portal
> functionality.
>
> Are there any helper libraries for squid3 to act as a captive portal?

Just the OS NAT interface. Sometimes that is a library (eg Linux
netfilter), sometimes just the getsockopt() kernel API (eg OpenBSD).