Squid 4.4: SSL/certification error messages not displayed with non-english error_directory

Squid 4.4: SSL/certification error messages not displayed with non-english error_directory

Schroeffu

Changing the error_directory to non-english like german or italian, the ssl bump error messages like "expired certificate" or "self signed certificated" are not showing anymore. Browser is just displaying an ugly error 503. But, other error messages like "access denied" are displayed properly, also tested with German and Italian.

#error_directory /usr/share/squid/errors/German
#error_directory /usr/share/squid/errors/Italian

How do I debug that properly to raise a bugeport if required?

Squid Version: 4.4-1 (from Debian unstable on Ubuntu 18.04 Server, recompiled with openssl)
Squid Langpack Version: Version: 20170901-1 (from Debian unstable on Ubuntu 18.04 Server)

Re: Squid 4.4: SSL/certification error messages not displayed with non-english error_directory

On 15/11/18 10:50 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Changing the error_directory to non-english like german or italian, the
> ssl bump error messages like "expired certificate" or "self signed
> certificated" are not showing anymore. Browser is just displaying an
> ugly error 503. But, other error messages like "access denied" are
> displayed properly, also tested with German and Italian.
>
> #error_directory /usr/share/squid/errors/German
> #error_directory /usr/share/squid/errors/Italian
>
> How do I debug that properly to raise a bugeport if required?

It is a known bug. The langpack contained empty files for some
templates. You can workaround the issue by replacing the 0-sized file(s)
with the one(s) from errors/templates/.
 A new langpack will be coming out as soon as we get the source of the
problem fixed.