Squid 4 Migration - balance_on_multiple_ip

Squid 4 Migration - balance_on_multiple_ip

Conner Bean
Hi squid users!

Hope you are all well. I'm attempting to migrate from Squid 3.5 to 4, and in my conf file I used to have balance_on_multiple_ip toggled on as to reduce chance of brownouts on endpoints. I noticed this is not available in Squid 4, is it on by default? Or is there some alternative?

Thank you all very much!

Conner Bean

Re: Squid 4 Migration - balance_on_multiple_ip

Alex Rousskov
On 1/6/21 3:24 PM, Conner Bean wrote:

> Hope you are all well. I'm attempting to migrate from Squid 3.5 to 4,
> and in my conf file I used to have balance_on_multiple_ip toggled on
> as to reduce chance of brownouts on endpoints.

FYI: Enabling balance_on_multiple_ip does nothing in Squid v3.5.

> I noticed this is not available in Squid 4, is it on by default? Or
> is there some alternative?

Squid is no longer capable of rotating host IPs on every access.

* AFAICT, the code associated with that directive was silently and, I
bet, accidentally removed in v3.2 (commit 9a6476c). The release notes
for that version were updated seven years later (commit 635c161).

* Squid v3.2 release notes associated with balance_on_multiple_ip
removal say that such rotation is no longer possible.

* Current squid.conf.documented says that such rotation is no longer
relevant.

FWIW, I disagree with the last two assertions: The Happy Eyeballs
principle is compatible and largely orthogonal to the IP rotation idea.
Squid just lacks the code to properly support that rotation.

Re: Squid 4 Migration - balance_on_multiple_ip

Eliezer Croitoru-3
Depends on the number of IP addresses there is a possibility to use an external ACL helper that will do that for you.
An example for LB over wan links can be seen with the next examples which I wrote:
* https://github.com/elico/mwan-nft-lb-example
* https://github.com/elico/vagrant-squid-outgoing-addresses

How many IP addresses are we talking about ?

Tech Support