Squid ICAP DNS lookup failure fixed?

VON EUW Andreas

Hi all,

I'm using squid 3.5.20 and I'm having the same problem as Aashima Madaan in his Mailing list thread from 4 years ago.

After Squid Server Restart the ICAP Integration is failing, after some minutes DNS resolution was done successfully and everything is fine.
Like in the Post from Aashima:

https://squid-users.squid-cache.narkive.com/YZLtJNiW/dns-lookup-fails-initially-for-fqdn-in-squid#post12

From the thread I can see that there was made some kind of patch. Is this DNS resolving issue fixed in a new Squid version?

Regards, Andy

Ce message est confidentiel; Son contenu ne represente en aucun cas
un engagement de la part de AXA sous reserve de tout accord conclu
par ecrit entre vous et AXA. Toute publication, utilisation ou
diffusion, meme partielle, doit etre autorisee prealablement. Si
vous n'etes pas destinataire de ce message, merci d'en avertir
immediatement l'expediteur.

This message is confidential; its contents do not constitute a
commitment by AXA except where provided for in a written agreement
between you and AXA. Any unauthorised disclosure, use or dissemi-
nation, either whole or partial, is prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient of the message, please notify the sender imme-
diately.

Re: Squid ICAP DNS lookup failure fixed?

Alex Rousskov
On 9/4/20 9:18 AM, VON EUW Andreas wrote:

> After Squid Server Restart the ICAP Integration is failing, after some
> minutes DNS resolution was done successfully and everything is fine.

> Is this DNS resolving issue fixed in a new Squid version?

I did not check carefully, but I do not see any relevant changes in git
logs. The following email probably reflects the current situation well:

http://lists.squid-cache.org/pipermail/squid-users/2016-June/010994.html

Re: Squid ICAP DNS lookup failure fixed?

Eliezer Croitoru-3

Hey Andy,

What have you tried in your debug?

What OS are you using Squid ontop?

It’s possible that this issue is not related 100% to squid and it might be a different issue then in the post by Aashima.

Have you tried debugging DNS resolution with tcpdump or dnstap or Squid debug?

If so please post the relevant details.

If it can be reproduced in any environment with the same OS I believe it would be much simpler to fix somehow.

(I am not volunteering to fix it…)

Tech Support