Squid + Squidguard Youtube URL video filtering

Squid + Squidguard Youtube URL video filtering

Roberto Carna
Dear, I have Squid + Squidguard working OK.

Squidguard is filtering the entire www.youtube.com website.

But now I have to permit just one video from Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ff9sDLGtnK8?rel=0&showinfo=0

I have added the below URL as an exception in Squidguard:

www.youtube.com/embed/ff9sDLGtnK8?rel=0&showinfo=0

but after that I can't see it, still blocked.

How can I enable just this URL from Squidguard preferently blocking
the rest of Youtube ???

Maybe do I have to use some escape symbols in the URL from Squidguard
excepction list?

Special thanks.

Re: Squid + Squidguard Youtube URL video filtering

On 17/08/18 00:43, Roberto Carna wrote:

> Dear, I have Squid + Squidguard working OK.
>
> Squidguard is filtering the entire www.youtube.com website.
>
> But now I have to permit just one video from Youtube:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/embed/ff9sDLGtnK8?rel=0&showinfo=0
>
> I have added the below URL as an exception in Squidguard:
>
> www.youtube.com/embed/ff9sDLGtnK8?rel=0&showinfo=0
>
> but after that I can't see it, still blocked.
>
> How can I enable just this URL from Squidguard preferently blocking
> the rest of Youtube ???

Unfortunately only with a great deal of difficulty.

The "?v=..." and "/embed/..." URLs are just public identifiers to access
the YouTube APIs. At the HTTP level they result in a quite long series
of sub-requests, redirections and the like bouncing all over the
youtube.* and googlevideos.* and googleapis.* domains.
 Yes all of them are involved multiple times. So whitelisting is an
all-or-nothing prospect, with other G services being implicitly
whitelisted as side effects.

Also, whenever the way to decipher the above maze of traffic gets
published so we can do things like what you ask. YT shortly afterwards
change how it operates - usually towards even more complexity. This has
happened too many times to be coincidence IMO.

Re: Squid + Squidguard Youtube URL video filtering

Vacheslav
Wouldn't it be better to try it in ufdbguard?

> Dear, I have Squid + Squidguard working OK.
>
> Squidguard is filtering the entire www.youtube.com website.
>
> But now I have to permit just one video from Youtube:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/embed/ff9sDLGtnK8?rel=0&showinfo=0
>
> I have added the below URL as an exception in Squidguard:
>
> www.youtube.com/embed/ff9sDLGtnK8?rel=0&showinfo=0
>
> but after that I can't see it, still blocked.
>
> How can I enable just this URL from Squidguard preferently blocking
> the rest of Youtube ???

>Unfortunately only with a great deal of difficulty.

>The "?v=..." and "/embed/..." URLs are just public identifiers to access the YouTube APIs. At the HTTP level they result in a quite long series of sub-requests, redirections and the like bouncing all over the
youtube.* and googlevideos.* and googleapis.* domains.
 Yes all of them are involved multiple times. So whitelisting is an all-or-nothing prospect, with other G services being implicitly whitelisted as side effects.

>Also, whenever the way to decipher the above maze of traffic gets published so we can do things like what you ask. YT shortly afterwards change how it operates - usually towards even more complexity. This has happened too many times to be coincidence IMO.

>Amos

Re: Squid + Squidguard Youtube URL video filtering

Roberto Carna
Dear Amos, I've tried to sniff the HTTP requests when I ask for:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ff9sDLGtnK8?rel=0&showinfo=0

After that I've created a Squidguard exception list as below:

ytimg.com
googlevideo.com
googleapis.com
www.youtube.com/embed/ff9sDLGtnK8?rel=0&showinfo=0

But I can't see the video yet.

Please I need to know if using Squidguard it's just impossible to do
this exception, so in this case I forget it.

Thanks a lot again!!!

> On 17/08/18 00:43, Roberto Carna wrote:
>> Dear, I have Squid + Squidguard working OK.
>>
>> Squidguard is filtering the entire www.youtube.com website.
>>
>> But now I have to permit just one video from Youtube:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/embed/ff9sDLGtnK8?rel=0&showinfo=0
>>
>> I have added the below URL as an exception in Squidguard:
>>
>> www.youtube.com/embed/ff9sDLGtnK8?rel=0&showinfo=0
>>
>> but after that I can't see it, still blocked.
>>
>> How can I enable just this URL from Squidguard preferently blocking
>> the rest of Youtube ???
>
> Unfortunately only with a great deal of difficulty.
>
> The "?v=..." and "/embed/..." URLs are just public identifiers to access
> the YouTube APIs. At the HTTP level they result in a quite long series
> of sub-requests, redirections and the like bouncing all over the
> youtube.* and googlevideos.* and googleapis.* domains.
>  Yes all of them are involved multiple times. So whitelisting is an
> all-or-nothing prospect, with other G services being implicitly
> whitelisted as side effects.
>

> Also, whenever the way to decipher the above maze of traffic gets
> published so we can do things like what you ask. YT shortly afterwards
> change how it operates - usually towards even more complexity. This has
> happened too many times to be coincidence IMO.

Re: Squid + Squidguard Youtube URL video filtering

Alex K

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018, 22:51 Roberto Carna <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Amos, I've tried to sniff the HTTP requests when I ask for:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ff9sDLGtnK8?rel=0&showinfo=0

After that I've created a Squidguard exception list as below:

ytimg.com
googlevideo.com
googleapis.com
www.youtube.com/embed/ff9sDLGtnK8?rel=0&showinfo=0
You may need to escape special characters (? is one). I would try:

I assume you are putting above at the urls definition and rebuilding the file?

What is access.log reporting?

But I can't see the video yet.

Please I need to know if using Squidguard it's just impossible to do
this exception, so in this case I forget it.

Thanks a lot again!!!

> On 17/08/18 00:43, Roberto Carna wrote:
>> Dear, I have Squid + Squidguard working OK.
>>
>> Squidguard is filtering the entire www.youtube.com website.
>>
>> But now I have to permit just one video from Youtube:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/embed/ff9sDLGtnK8?rel=0&showinfo=0
>>
>> I have added the below URL as an exception in Squidguard:
>>
>> www.youtube.com/embed/ff9sDLGtnK8?rel=0&showinfo=0
>>
>> but after that I can't see it, still blocked.
>>
>> How can I enable just this URL from Squidguard preferently blocking
>> the rest of Youtube ???
>
> Unfortunately only with a great deal of difficulty.
>
> The "?v=..." and "/embed/..." URLs are just public identifiers to access
> the YouTube APIs. At the HTTP level they result in a quite long series
> of sub-requests, redirections and the like bouncing all over the
> youtube.* and googlevideos.* and googleapis.* domains.
>  Yes all of them are involved multiple times. So whitelisting is an
> all-or-nothing prospect, with other G services being implicitly
> whitelisted as side effects.
>

> Also, whenever the way to decipher the above maze of traffic gets
> published so we can do things like what you ask. YT shortly afterwards
> change how it operates - usually towards even more complexity. This has
> happened too many times to be coincidence IMO.

Re: Squid + Squidguard Youtube URL video filtering

Marcus Kool
yes, with ufdbguard you put
    youtube.com/watch?v=VIDEOID
in a urls file and create a URL table with ufdbGenTable.
ufdbGenTable adds many URLs automagically, i.e.
    youtube.com/embed/VIDEOID
    youtube.com/get_video_info?video_id=VIDEOID
    ytimg.googleusercontent.com/vi/VIDEOID
and many more.

Marcus

On 16/08/18 11:01, Vacheslav wrote:

> Wouldn't it be better to try it in ufdbguard?

Rafael Akchurin
Hello Roberto,

Another way is to have a dedicated YouTube API rewriter or say ICAP filter (as we do in Web Safety version 6.4) and try to allow/block video by parsing out the video ID from request URL and looking up its related meta information on the fly in YouTube database.

See our rewriter in Web Safety ICAP filter for Squid available as part of virtual appliance at https://www.diladele.com/virtual_appliance.html.  The code in Python in /opt/websafety/bin/youtube_guard.py and if very easy to understand.

Please note our guard assumes the video partials from googlevideo.com are allowed. If you need to further prevent access to these partials and allow only your video no matter what - then keeping a close eye on the https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl project is a must.

Please note in Web Safety 6.4 (ICAP for Squid) we have rewritten that functionality in golang to allow specifying different allow/deny videos/categories/channels per different group of proxy users. So be sure to get version 6.3.

Best regards,
Rafael Akchurin
Diladele B.V.
https://www.diladele.com

Dear Amos, I've tried to sniff the HTTP requests when I ask for:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ff9sDLGtnK8?rel=0&showinfo=0

After that I've created a Squidguard exception list as below:

ytimg.com
googlevideo.com
googleapis.com
www.youtube.com/embed/ff9sDLGtnK8?rel=0&showinfo=0

But I can't see the video yet.

Please I need to know if using Squidguard it's just impossible to do this exception, so in this case I forget it.

Thanks a lot again!!!

> On 17/08/18 00:43, Roberto Carna wrote:
>> Dear, I have Squid + Squidguard working OK.
>>
>> Squidguard is filtering the entire www.youtube.com website.
>>
>> But now I have to permit just one video from Youtube:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/embed/ff9sDLGtnK8?rel=0&showinfo=0
>>
>> I have added the below URL as an exception in Squidguard:
>>
>> www.youtube.com/embed/ff9sDLGtnK8?rel=0&showinfo=0
>>
>> but after that I can't see it, still blocked.
>>
>> How can I enable just this URL from Squidguard preferently blocking
>> the rest of Youtube ???
>
> Unfortunately only with a great deal of difficulty.
>
> The "?v=..." and "/embed/..." URLs are just public identifiers to
> access the YouTube APIs. At the HTTP level they result in a quite long
> series of sub-requests, redirections and the like bouncing all over
> the
> youtube.* and googlevideos.* and googleapis.* domains.
>  Yes all of them are involved multiple times. So whitelisting is an
> all-or-nothing prospect, with other G services being implicitly
> whitelisted as side effects.
>

> Also, whenever the way to decipher the above maze of traffic gets
> published so we can do things like what you ask. YT shortly afterwards
> change how it operates - usually towards even more complexity. This
> has happened too many times to be coincidence IMO.

Re: Squid + Squidguard Youtube URL video filtering

Marcus Kool
OP asked about blocking Youtube but allowing a single Youtube video.
How would you do that with a couple of DNS entries ?

Marcus

On 16/08/18 22:11, SQUIDBLACKLIST.ORG wrote:

> This might be painfully obvious to some who are in the know, but, filtering youtube video content can be done with a lot less effort by simply adding a couple dns entries for Googles safesearch servers.
>
> #justsayin
>

> Signed,
>
> Benjamin E. Nichols
> Founder &  Chief Architect
> http://www.squidblacklist.org
> 1-405-301-9516

Dear Marcus, please can you tell me the way to do what you suggest?

Suppose I want to block youtube.com but enable only one URL video
"https://www.youtube.com/embed/ff9sDLGtnK8?rel=0&showinfo=0".

How should I set te DNS entries please?

> OP asked about blocking Youtube but allowing a single Youtube video.
> How would you do that with a couple of DNS entries ?
>
> Marcus
>
> On 16/08/18 22:11, SQUIDBLACKLIST.ORG wrote:
>>
>> This might be painfully obvious to some who are in the know, but,
>> filtering youtube video content can be done with a lot less effort by simply
>> adding a couple dns entries for Googles safesearch servers.
>>
>> #justsayin
>>

>> Signed,
>>
>> Benjamin E. Nichols
>> Founder &  Chief Architect
>> http://www.squidblacklist.org
>> 1-405-301-9516

I cannot tell you how to do it with DNS entries since I think it is impossible and therefore I asked Benjamin to explain.

Allowing one single video and blocking all other videos on Youtube is not easy.
One cannot block by domain but must filter by full URL.
When HTTPS is used, full URLs can only be obtained/filtered using ssl_bump in peek+bump mode which is doable but not easy.
Once you have peek+bump working you can make two categories in ufdbGuard:
    category youtube with
       youtube.com/watch
    category allowedyoutubevideos with
       youtube.com/watch?v=ff9sDLGtnK8
and an acl like
    acl {
       allSystems {
          pass allowedyoutubevideos !youtube ...
       }

The above allows access to www.youtube.com but not to the blocked videos.
This is necessary since the youtube site also uses a set of URLs like
     https://www.youtube.com/sw.js
     https://www.youtube.com/service_ajax?name=signalServiceEndpoint
     etc.
which all must be allowed to be able to display/allow your single video.

Marcus