Squid and ICAP using 206 response on reply

Squid and ICAP using 206 response on reply

johnr
Hi,

I've attempting to use a RESPMOD ICAP in squid to modify the response
headers before they get to my user. I am attempting to use the ICAP 206 code
to be able to do this.

Everything works fine if the response payload is more than the preview that
my ICAP takes. But, if the max size of the preview is greater than the size
of the response payload, the 206 response does not do anything (and it
basically looks like a 204 where I get back the original response without
any header modification).

Is this a known fact that if the response is smaller than the max preview
size then 206 is not a valid response? I can't find evidence for that in the
ICAP spec, so I am thinking there's a chance I'm doing something else wrong?
Thank you for any help.

Re: Squid and ICAP using 206 response on reply

Alex Rousskov
On 2/4/19 11:25, johnr wrote:

> I've attempting to use a RESPMOD ICAP in squid to modify the response
> headers before they get to my user. I am attempting to use the ICAP 206 code
> to be able to do this.
>
> Everything works fine if the response payload is more than the preview that
> my ICAP takes. But, if the max size of the preview is greater than the size
> of the response payload, the 206 response does not do anything (and it
> basically looks like a 204 where I get back the original response without
> any header modification).

> Is this a known fact that if the response is smaller than the max preview
> size then 206 is not a valid response?

IIRC, there is no such fact. In fact, 206 works in Preview by default
(and can work outside of Preview after additional signaling from the
ICAP client):

 > draft-icap-ext-partial-content-07.txt:
> Partial Content feature is limited to ICAP Preview by default.
>    Similar to ICAP 204 (No Content) responses, an ICAP client may enable
>    Partial Content responses outside of Preview by sending "Allow: 204,
>    206" REQMOD or RESPMOD header.

> I can't find evidence for that in the ICAP spec, so I am thinking
> there's a chance I'm doing something else wrong?

It could be a Squid bug or your ICAP service could be doing something
wrong. Consider posting a [link to] compressed Squid cache.log with
debug_options set to ALL,9 (or, at the very least, "ALL,3 93,9").

Cheers,