Squid and multipart form decode

Ryan Le
I have been trying to configure squid to decode and send multipart form data to another service. Is there an acl or build parameter needed for multipart form data support?

Thanks,
Ryan

Re: Squid and multipart form decode

Antony Stone
On Thursday 23 July 2020 at 15:22:56, Ryan Le wrote:

> I have been trying to configure squid to decode and send multipart form
> data to another service.

What do you mean by "decode"?

> Is there an acl or build parameter needed for multipart form data support?

No; Squid sends on what it gets from the client.

Antony.

--
The next sentence is untrue.
The previous sentence is true.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Re: Squid and multipart form decode

Ryan Le
sorry not decode, just parse to send headers to icap as well.

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 9:27 AM Antony Stone <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thursday 23 July 2020 at 15:22:56, Ryan Le wrote:

> I have been trying to configure squid to decode and send multipart form
> data to another service.

What do you mean by "decode"?

On Thursday 23 July 2020 at 15:33:01, Ryan Le wrote:

> sorry not decode, just parse to send headers to icap as well.

Aha, icap - sorry, I can't help you there, but I'm pretty sure there are
others here who have used it.

> On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 9:27 AM Antony Stone wrote:
> > On Thursday 23 July 2020 at 15:22:56, Ryan Le wrote:
> > > I have been trying to configure squid to decode and send multipart form
> > > data to another service.
> >
> > What do you mean by "decode"?
> >
> > > Is there an acl or build parameter needed for multipart form data
> > > support?
> >
> > No; Squid sends on what it gets from the client.

Antony.

--
I bought a book on memory techniques, but I've forgotten where I put it.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

On 7/23/20 9:22 AM, Ryan Le wrote:
> I have been trying to configure squid to decode and send multipart form
> data to another service. Is there an acl or build parameter needed for
> multipart form data support?

No, there is no need to allow any specific Content-Type, including
multipart. Squid does not know anything about multipart/form-data. If a
multipart/form-data message is well-formed from HTTP point of view, then
Squid will process it as any other message, including passing it to
ICAP/eCAP (where configured).

Cheers,

Re: Squid and multipart form decode

Ryan Le
Thanks,

I have been looking at the squid debug and can see that it is getting the multipart.

POST http://bbbbbb.com
Origin: http://bbbbb.com
Cookie: cookie
Host: bbbbbbb.com
Via: ICAP/1.0

4dd
-----------------------------328901485836611227811186534509

frm_submit_dropzone
-----------------------------328901485836611227811186534509

8
-----------------------------328901485836611227811186534509

5
-----------------------------328901485836611227811186534509

e1aca92777

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 11:16 AM Alex Rousskov <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 7/23/20 9:22 AM, Ryan Le wrote:
> I have been trying to configure squid to decode and send multipart form
> data to another service. Is there an acl or build parameter needed for
> multipart form data support?

No, there is no need to allow any specific Content-Type, including
multipart. Squid does not know anything about multipart/form-data. If a
multipart/form-data message is well-formed from HTTP point of view, then
Squid will process it as any other message, including passing it to
ICAP/eCAP (where configured).

Cheers,

Re: Squid and multipart form decode

Ryan Le
Even though it looks like TeChunkedParser is getting all the additional headers I can't seem to create ACL or output them using logformat. I was trying to request these headers with req_mime_type/resp_mime_type. and alos had log_mime_hdrs on and then in logformat just had all.

On 7/23/20 9:22 AM, Ryan Le wrote:
> I have been trying to configure squid to decode and send multipart form
> data to another service. Is there an acl or build parameter needed for
> multipart form data support?

No, there is no need to allow any specific Content-Type, including
multipart. Squid does not know anything about multipart/form-data. If a
multipart/form-data message is well-formed from HTTP point of view, then
Squid will process it as any other message, including passing it to
ICAP/eCAP (where configured).

Cheers,

Re: Squid and multipart form decode

Alex Rousskov
On 7/29/20 11:38 AM, Ryan Le wrote:
> Even though it looks like TeChunkedParser is getting all the
> additional headers

TeChunkedParser has nothing to do with multipart/form-data bodies.
TeChunkedParser parses chunked encoding, and even then it is applied to
remove _transfer_ encoding, not to interpret the actual resource content
inside the chunks.

I am not sure, but it looks like you have pasted a part of an ICAP
message. TeChunkedParser is used to parse chunked transfer encoding used
for a part of the ICAP message body. Beyond decoding those chunks, it is
all opaque data to Squid.

To avoid misunderstanding, in your pasted example, the contents of the
first chunk starts with these two lines:

> -----------------------------328901485836611227811186534509

It does _not_ start with the "Content-Disposition:..." line or the
"frm_submit_dropzone" line.

> I can't seem to create ACL or output them using
> logformat. I was trying to request these headers with
> req_mime_type/resp_mime_type.

If by "them" you mean MIME headers inside multipart parts, then Squid
does not see them and does not operate on them. The insides of each
chunk is opaque data to Squid.

> and alos had log_mime_hdrs on and then in
> logformat just had all.

You should be able to log the HTTP request header values using %>h or
%>ha. You will not be able to log or match any message body snippets,
including things like MIME Content-Disposition values. Squid does not
look inside the body of the POSTed resource.

If you need further help, you may want to clarify what you are trying to
achieve. You said "send multipart form data to another service". Are you
trying to _route_ request messages based on multipart form _contents_?

> On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 11:46 AM Ryan Le wrote:
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     I have been looking at the squid debug and can see that it is
>     getting the multipart.
>
>     POST http://bbbbbb.com
>     Origin: http://bbbbb.com
>     Cookie: cookie
>     Host: bbbbbbb.com <http://bbbbbbb.com>
>     Via: ICAP/1.0
>
>     4dd
>     -----------------------------328901485836611227811186534509
>
>     frm_submit_dropzone
>     -----------------------------328901485836611227811186534509
>
>     8
>     -----------------------------328901485836611227811186534509
>
>     5
>     -----------------------------328901485836611227811186534509
>
>     e1aca92777
>     -----------------------------328901485836611227811186534509
>
>     On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 11:16 AM Alex Rousskov
>     <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>         On 7/23/20 9:22 AM, Ryan Le wrote:
>         > I have been trying to configure squid to decode and send
>         multipart form
>         > data to another service. Is there an acl or build parameter
>         needed for
>         > multipart form data support?
>
>         No, there is no need to allow any specific Content-Type, including
>         multipart. Squid does not know anything about
>         multipart/form-data. If a
>         multipart/form-data message is well-formed from HTTP point of
>         view, then
>         Squid will process it as any other message, including passing it to
>         ICAP/eCAP (where configured).
>
>         Cheers,
>
>         Alex.

Re: Squid and multipart form decode

Ryan Le
I do apologize I do not have logs of that specific file but I have an example from the same site and doing the same post.

> Even though it looks like TeChunkedParser is getting all the
> additional headers

>TeChunkedParser has nothing to do with multipart/form-data bodies.
>TeChunkedParser parses chunked encoding, and even then it is applied to
>remove _transfer_ encoding, not to interpret the actual resource content
>inside the chunks.

I do see it in two locations.

2020/07/26 23:11:12.921 kid6| 74,9| TeChunkedParser.cc(45) parse: Parse buf={length=3667, data='e47
-----------------------------351645264024548376901231954897

frm_submit_dropzone
-----------------------------351645264024548376901231954897

8
-----------------------------351645264024548376901231954897

5
-----------------------------351645264024548376901231954897

6bb20c0bd7
-----------------------------351645264024548376901231954897

As well as the following location

2020/07/26 23:11:12.921 kid6| 58,9| HttpMsg.cc(198) parse: HttpMsg::parse success (689 bytes) near 'POST http://bbbb.com/post HTTP/1.1
Origin: http://bbbbbb.com
Referer: http://bbbbb.com.com/http-post/
Cookie: _ga=GA1.2.1194289608.1595640198; _gid=GA1.2.252592555.1595804428; _gat_gtag_UA_47458108_3=1
Host: bbbbbbb.com
Via: ICAP/1.0 (C-ICAP/0.5.6 ICAP service )

e47
-----------------------------351645264024548376901231954897

frm_submit_dropzone
-----------------------------351645264024548376901231954897

8
-----------------------------351645264024548376901231954897

5
-----------------------------351645264024548376901231954897

6bb20c0bd7
-----------------------------351645264024548376901231954897

>I am not sure, but it looks like you have pasted a part of an ICAP
>message. TeChunkedParser is used to parse chunked transfer encoding used
>for a part of the ICAP message body. Beyond decoding those chunks, it is
>all opaque data to Squid.

Thanks for that information.

>To avoid misunderstanding, in your pasted example, the contents of the
>first chunk starts with these two lines:

> -----------------------------328901485836611227811186534509

>It does _not_ start with the "Content-Disposition:..." line or the
>"frm_submit_dropzone" line.

> I can't seem to create ACL or output them using
> logformat. I was trying to request these headers with
> req_mime_type/resp_mime_type.

>If by "them" you mean MIME headers inside multipart parts, then Squid
>does not see them and does not operate on them. The insides of each
>chunk is opaque data to Squid.

> and also had log_mime_hdrs on and then in
> logformat just had all.

>You should be able to log the HTTP request header values using %>h or
>%>ha. You will not be able to log or match any message body snippets,
>including things like MIME Content-Disposition values. Squid does not
>look inside the body of the POSTed resource.

I will test with the two examples given and see what they return.

>If you need further help, you may want to clarify what you are trying to
>achieve. You said "send multipart form data to another service". Are you
>trying to _route_ request messages based on multipart form _contents_?

What I am ultimately trying to accomplish is to see the best way to get more detail and have an action on sites
that are posting using multipart/form-data as the Content-Type header. This is mainly to separate action taken on an actual form being submitted
versus a file being submitted or as you stated route request messages based on the content.
Whether that be logformat with headers and passing the headers to a custom external service or within squid itself.

On 7/29/20 12:47 PM, Ryan Le wrote:

>>> Even though it looks like TeChunkedParser is getting all the
>>> additional headers

>> TeChunkedParser has nothing to do with multipart/form-data bodies.

> I do see it in two locations.

> 2020/07/26 23:11:12.921 kid6| 74,9| TeChunkedParser.cc(45) parse: Parse
> buf={length=3667, data='e47
> -----------------------------351645264024548376901231954897

You see the parser reporting the raw input buffer that it is about to
parse. The parser will treat everything you see after the first "e47"
line (which specifies the chunk size in hex) as opaque body bytes (until
the start of the next chunk metadata).

> As well as the following location

> 2020/07/26 23:11:12.921 kid6| 58,9| HttpMsg.cc(198) parse:
> HttpMsg::parse success (689 bytes) near 'POST http://bbbb.com/post HTTP/1.1

Same problem. It is just a raw input buffer dump.

> What I am ultimately trying to accomplish is to see the best way to get
> more detail and have an action on sites
> that are posting using multipart/form-data as the Content-Type header.

ACL-driven actions based on the Content-Type header value should work
fine. Logging of the Content-Type header value to access.log should work
fine.  If something does not work, please provide a specific non-working
configuration example.

Some of your earlier messages sounded like you want Squid to act based
on MIME headers inside the message body or even the values of HTML form
entries. Squid cannot do that on its own. To analyze message bodies
(even in read-only mode), you will need a custom ICAP or eCAP service:
https://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ContentAdaptation