Squid configuration cache_peer does not take effect?

Squid configuration cache_peer does not take effect?

yohan83942
The configuration is as follows:

```shell
# Squid normally listens to port 3128
always_direct allow all
ssl_bump bump all
sslproxy_cert_error allow all
http_port 3128 ssl-bump cert=/etc/squid/squid.pem key=/etc/squid/squid.pem
generate-host-certificates=on options=NO_SSLv2
#http_port 3128

cache_peer 127.0.0.1 parent 10809 0 no-query
never_direct allow all
```

I tested it and found out that the `127.0.0.1:10809` proxy was not taken?

How to solve?

However, when I changed it to the following, it worked. But then Squid
cannot cache https.

```shell
http_port 3128

cache_peer 127.0.0.1 parent 10809 0 no-query
never_direct allow all
```

Why is that?

Full configuration

```shell
#
# Recommended minimum configuration:
#

# Example rule allowing access from your local networks.
# Adapt to list your (internal) IP networks from where browsing
# should be allowed
acl localnet src 10.0.0.0/8 # RFC1918 possible internal network
acl localnet src 172.16.0.0/12 # RFC1918 possible internal network
acl localnet src 192.168.0.0/16 # RFC1918 possible internal network
acl localnet src fc00::/7       # RFC 4193 local private network range
acl localnet src fe80::/10      # RFC 4291 link-local (directly plugged)
machines

acl SSL_ports port 443
acl Safe_ports port 80 # http
acl Safe_ports port 21 # ftp
acl Safe_ports port 443 # https
acl Safe_ports port 70 # gopher
acl Safe_ports port 210 # wais
acl Safe_ports port 1025-65535 # unregistered ports
acl Safe_ports port 280 # http-mgmt
acl Safe_ports port 488 # gss-http
acl Safe_ports port 591 # filemaker
acl Safe_ports port 777 # multiling http
acl CONNECT method CONNECT

#
# Recommended minimum Access Permission configuration:
#
# Deny requests to certain unsafe ports
http_access deny !Safe_ports

# Deny CONNECT to other than secure SSL ports
http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports

# Only allow cachemgr access from localhost
http_access allow localhost manager
http_access deny manager

# We strongly recommend the following be uncommented to protect innocent
# web applications running on the proxy server who think the only
# one who can access services on "localhost" is a local user
#http_access deny to_localhost

#
# INSERT YOUR OWN RULE(S) HERE TO ALLOW ACCESS FROM YOUR CLIENTS
#

# Example rule allowing access from your local networks.
# Adapt localnet in the ACL section to list your (internal) IP networks
# from where browsing should be allowed
http_access allow localnet
http_access allow localhost

# And finally deny all other access to this proxy
http_access deny all

# Squid normally listens to port 3128
always_direct allow all
ssl_bump bump all
sslproxy_cert_error allow all
http_port 3128 ssl-bump cert=/etc/squid/squid.pem key=/etc/squid/squid.pem
generate-host-certificates=on options=NO_SSLv2
#http_port 3128

cache_peer 127.0.0.1 parent 10809 0 no-query
never_direct allow all

# Uncomment and adjust the following to add a disk cache directory.
cache_dir ufs /var/cache/squid 100 16 256

# Leave coredumps in the first cache dir
coredump_dir /var/cache/squid

#
# Add any of your own refresh_pattern entries above these.
#
refresh_pattern ^ftp: 1440 20% 10080
refresh_pattern ^gopher: 1440 0% 1440
refresh_pattern -i (/cgi-bin/|\?) 0 0% 0
refresh_pattern . 0 20% 4320

dns_nameservers 8.8.8.8
```

Re: Squid configuration cache_peer does not take effect?

Schroeffu
> The configuration is as follows:
>
> ```shell
> # Squid normally listens to port 3128
> always_direct allow all
> ssl_bump bump all
> sslproxy_cert_error allow all
> http_port 3128 ssl-bump cert=/etc/squid/squid.pem key=/etc/squid/squid.pem
> generate-host-certificates=on options=NO_SSLv2
> #http_port 3128
>
> cache_peer 127.0.0.1 parent 10809 0 no-query
> never_direct allow all
> ```

Hi,

as far as i know, cache_peer seems to be mostly not supported with ssl_bump before Squid v5 (not stable yet), see here: http://squid-web-proxy-cache.1019090.n4.nabble.com/Non-transparent-proxy-with-cache-peer-and-ssl-bump-tp4687620p4687622.html

Had the same issue and gave up, will wait for Squid v5 becomes productive usable.

All the best
Schroeffu

Re: Squid configuration cache_peer does not take effect?

yohan83942
I have read this article before and it has been a long time. The problem
persists and I'm surprised.
Do you know when the v5 version will be released? Already 2020.

Is there a solution?
I just want a server that can cache https and access the Internet through a
proxy like `cache_peer`?

On 14/01/20 4:45 am, yohan83942 wrote:
> I have read this article before and it has been a long time. The problem
> persists and I'm surprised.
> Do you know when the v5 version will be released? Already 2020.

I am bundling 5.0.1 (beta) later today. As for when it's stable that
will depend on what bugs get found and how hard they are to fix.
Hopefully later this year or early next.

You do not need a Squid version to be stable to use it. Just expect some
bugs.

Code for 5.0.0 (alpha) is available right now at
<http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v5/> if you are able to self-build.

> Is there a solution?

Only the feature in v5.

There is a hacks, but that requires the peer to be a Squid with SSL-Bump
and requires some tricky config at the peer. It is unlikely to be useful
unless you are admin of both proxies.

Re: Squid configuration cache_peer does not take effect?

yohan83942
Just ask, how do I install the v5 version of squid,
 I used to install it with `yum -y install squid`.