Squid high CPU usage after uprade to squid-3.4.4

Squid high CPU usage after uprade to squid-3.4.4

Rejaine Monteiro
Hello people,

We had a server running SLES11 with SQUID-2.1.7and everything has always
worked very well.

After reinstalled server to OpenSuSE 13.2 with SQUID-3.4.4 (keeping the
same configuration/squid.conf), the proxy experience high CPU after a
certain time of use... squid load goes up until it stops responding ...

I run a squid -k reconfigure or reload and everything returns to normal,
until the load goes up again gradually...

In the cache.log I found this alert:

   | WARNING! Your cache is running out of filedescriptors

Searching, I found a tip asking to increase fs_max_descriptor (both in
OS and in squid.conf), but I do not know this would be the most correct
action (I'm still testing) I've also read that this version would have a
bug and that maybe need to downgrade ...

Does anyone confirm whether there is a bug in this version or if there
is any other configuration tip to solve this problem definitively?

Thank you very much in advance!

Re: Squid high CPU usage after uprade to squid-3.4.4

Eduardo Carneiro
This post was updated on .
Hello Rejaine. First of all, are you Brazilian? It's always good to have
Brazilians around here. :D

About your issue, squid.conf's "max_filedescriptors" parameter will solve
your problem. Due to the large number of hits that I have, I also had to
increase the number of squid's file descriptors.

I also remember that you need to increase the number of descriptors in both
Squid and the Operating System.

I use Ubuntu and I had to change the /etc/sysctl.conf and
/etc/security/limits.conf.

If you want to see the amount of real-time file descriptors used, just use squidclient:

#squidclient -h localhost -p 8080 mgr:info | grep "file descriptors"

I hope I've helped!

Re: Squid high CPU usage after uprade to squid-3.4.4

Rejaine Monteiro

Hi Eduardo, yes i'm brazilian, from Belo Horizonte / MG

I increased the value of max_filedescriptors "in squid.conf to 409 and
put  in /etc/security/limits.conf the following configuration:

squid     hard  nofile    4096
squid     soft    nofile    4096

And run a 'ulimit -n 4096' to changevalue globaly without reboot

The /proc/sys/fs/file-max is 6557385, so I think dont need to increase
it ..

Now I will follow up and see if that solves ..

Thank you for your attention!
Em 29-12-2017 10:30, Eduardo Carneiro escreveu:

> Hello Rejaine. First of all, are you Brazilian? It's always good to have
> Brazilians around here. :D
>
> About your issue, squid.conf's "max_filedescriptors" parameter will solve
> your problem. Due to the large number of hits that I have, I also had to
> increase the number of squid's file descriptors.
>
> I also remember that you need to increase the number of descriptors in both
> Squid and the Operating System.
>
> I use Ubuntu and I had to change the /etc/sysctl.conf and
> /etc/security/limits.conf.
>
> I hope I've helped!
>

> --
> Sent from: http://squid-web-proxy-cache.1019090.n4.nabble.com/Squid-Users-f1019091.html

Rejaine da Silveira Monteiro
Suporte - Tecnologia Digital
Tel: (31) 2102-8854
Jamef Encomendas Urgentes - Matriz - Belo Horizonte/MG
www.jamef.com.br

Re: Squid high CPU usage after uprade to squid-3.4.4

Eduardo Carneiro
Ok Rejaine. Remember to use squidclient to see the amount of real-time used
file descriptors:

# squidclient -h localhost -p 8080 mgr:info | grep "file descriptors"

So you increment as needed

Eduardo Carneiro

Re: Squid high CPU usage after uprade to squid-3.4.4

Rejaine Monteiro

Okay, I'll do that, thanks for the tips!

On 12/29/2017 05:00 AM, Rejaine Monteiro wrote:

> After reinstalled server to OpenSuSE 13.2 with SQUID-3.4.4

Please note that you are upgrading to an unsupported and rather buggy
Squid version. It is your decision which Squid version to run, and I
understand that it may be easier to run what your OS provides, but
please do take the lack of the official v3.4 support into account when
making that decision.

Please also note that Squid v3+ is "slower" (i.e., needs more resources
to handle the same amount of traffic) than Squid v2- in many environments.