Squid with squidguard

Alex K
Hi all,

I was using a squid (3.1.20) + squidguard setup (to filter out several site categories) on Debian 7 and the setup worked. The squidguard was invoked from squid.conf as below:

redirect_program /usr/bin/squidGuard -c /etc/squidguard/squidGuard.conf
redirect_children 7

I am now testing the setup on Debian 9 (with squid 3.5.23) with the following lines in squid.conf:

url_rewrite_access allow
url_rewrite_program /usr/bin/squidGuard -c /etc/squidguard/squidGuard.conf
url_rewrite_children 5

But I get at squid logs:

2018/04/24 12:06:57 kid1| helperOpenServers: Starting 0/5 'squidGuard' processes
2018/04/24 12:06:57 kid1| helperOpenServers: No 'squidGuard' processes needed.

Seems that squid is ignoring and not starting squidguard.
I have read also some have mentioned that squidguard is not maintained anymore.

Any idea on the above?
Any better alternative to squidguard that you recommend?

thanx,
Alex

Re: Squid with squidguard

On 25/04/18 23:44, Alex K wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was using a squid (3.1.20) + squidguard setup (to filter out several
> site categories) on Debian 7 and the setup worked. The squidguard was
> invoked from squid.conf as below:
>
> redirect_program /usr/bin/squidGuard -c /etc/squidguard/squidGuard.conf
> redirect_children 7
>
> I am now testing the setup on Debian 9 (with squid 3.5.23) with the
> following lines in squid.conf:
>
> url_rewrite_access allow

There are no ACLs on the above line. So it cannot match anything. The
implicit default applies instead. Implicit default after any "allow"
line is "deny all".

Also, you did not configure any allow/deny previously. So why add it now?

> url_rewrite_program /usr/bin/squidGuard -c /etc/squidguard/squidGuard.conf
> url_rewrite_children 5
>
> But I get at squid logs:
>
> 2018/04/24 12:06:57 kid1| helperOpenServers: Starting 0/5 'squidGuard'
> processes
> 2018/04/24 12:06:57 kid1| helperOpenServers: No 'squidGuard' processes
> needed.

No traffic is allowed to go to the helper. So no SG processes necessary.
Squid is correct.

> Seems that squid is ignoring and not starting squidguard.
> I have read also some have mentioned that squidguard is not maintained
> anymore.
>
> Any idea on the above?> Any better alternative to squidguard that you recommend?

ufdbguard is much better than the outdated and no longer maintained
SquidGuard (but is not packaged on Debian).

Re: Squid with squidguard

Alex K
Thank you Amos for the feedback.

I did see an example online using ACL and that tricked me.
Removing the allow line, now squid is logging that squidguard is started (though no squidguard processes are listed, it could be due to that I have not tested yet with actual traffic)

I will check also ufdbguard as it seems promising.

Thanx,
Alex