Squid2.5-Stable6 RPM for CentOS 4.4 anyone?

Squid2.5-Stable6 RPM for CentOS 4.4 anyone?

Fiero, Paul

 Greetings all, I am back with yet another request for assistance.

I am in the process of trying to Squid brought into modern times here in
our enterprise.  We have an old version of Squid running and I'm
upgrading the OS to CentOS 4.4.  The Squid RPM that comes with CentOS
doesn't have WCCP, much less the WCCP v2 that I need, compiled in so I'm
asking here, does anyone know what is involved in getting Squid
recomplied on CentOS 4.4 to use WCCP v2?

To be honest, I'm not adverse to using a newer version of Squid if
someone can give me decent destructions or somesuch.

Please feel free to respond to me privately at

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Paul Fiero, RHCE
Information Security Analyst
Communications and Technology Management Office
City of Austin
(512) 974-3559

The information contained in this ELECTRONIC MAIL transmission is
confidential.  It may also be a privileged work product or proprietary
information. This information is intended for the exclusive use of the
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution [other
than to the addressee(s)], copying or taking of any action because of
this information is strictly prohibited.

Re: Squid2.5-Stable6 RPM for CentOS 4.4 anyone?

Adrian Chadd
On Mon, May 21, 2007, Fiero, Paul wrote:

>  Greetings all, I am back with yet another request for assistance.
>
> I am in the process of trying to Squid brought into modern times here in
> our enterprise.  We have an old version of Squid running and I'm
> upgrading the OS to CentOS 4.4.  The Squid RPM that comes with CentOS
> doesn't have WCCP, much less the WCCP v2 that I need, compiled in so I'm
> asking here, does anyone know what is involved in getting Squid
> recomplied on CentOS 4.4 to use WCCP v2?

Its pretty simple to get Squid up under CentOS from source.
I'd suggest upgrading to Squid-2.6 - it has basic WCCPv2 support.

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ is a good reference, and
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/ has a bunch of WCCPv2
examples.

Compiling it is pretty simple:

# tar zxvf squid-src.tar.gz
# cd squid
# ulimit -n 32768
# ./configure --prefix="/usr/local/squid" --enable-storeio="ufs aufs null coss" --with-large-files --enable-large-cache-files --enable-snmp --enable-linux-netfilter ...
# make
# make install

Squid's now in /usr/local/squid; dump an etc file into /usr/local/squid/etc/squid.conf;
read the Squid-2.6 release notes for how to implement transparent proxying (its changed
from squid-2.5 to squid-2.6) and read the WCCPv2 examples.

HTH,

Adrian