Unable to cache Windows Update

davide
Hi to everybody,

hope that someone can help me with this issue.

I've set up squid as transparent proxy and I would like to cache the
Windows Update in order to gain bandwidth. I follow step by step the
related page on the wiki but every time I try to download the windows
updates from the setting page I get the message that because of internet
connection the download of the updates is not possible.

I would like to tell that I'm able to cache everything else comes from
the win machine, just with the windows update I got this problem.

I'm running Squid-3.5.27 on Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS and the Win machine
is on a VM bridged with a Debian client that is cached by Squid.

Attached my config file.

Best,

Davide

paste_990229 (8K) Download Attachment

Re: Unable to cache Windows Update

Yuri Voinov

It is possible, with some kind of work. However, better to use more appropriate tool to cache WU.

This tool named WSUS. With inventory functions. Squid is not most appropriate tool for this job. At least, you will be forced not only cache - but keep terabytes of data.

0x3E3743A7.asc (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Unable to cache Windows Update

Yuri Voinov

The problem to cache WU with squid is:

1507749149.193   6476 172.16.100.103 TCP_HIT/206 1049109 GET http://download.win
dowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/uprl/2017/09/windows-kb890830-v5.53-
delta_b0898f8fe7445096d0e1085266012331038a729b.exe - HIER_NONE/- application/oct
et-stream

Request size = 1,049,109

Squid does not work well with 206. Also requires some additional work external relatively squid to cache WU.

[...]

Heiler Bemerguy

> Squid does not work well with 206. Also requires some additional work
> external relatively squid to cache WU.

Actually it barely works with 206, there's a bug report open about it

--
Atenciosamente / Best Regards,

Heiler Bemerguy
Network Manager - CINBESA
55 91 98151-4894/3184-1751

12.10.2017 1:28, Heiler Bemerguy пишет:

>> Squid does not work well with 206. Also requires some additional work
>> external relatively squid to cache WU.
>>

> Actually it barely works with 206, there's a bug report open about it

We do not talk badly about the dead and the bugs discovered by years ;-)

0x3E3743A7.asc (2K) Download Attachment