Unsupported method 'NICK'

Wongbali
Hi,

My Squid (2.6S14) displayed a lot of "Unsupported method NICK".

Henrik explained that problem was caused by someone trying to use IRC via
the proxy.

My question is:

Does the IRC mean YahooMess, MSN Mess, ICQ?

Please advise.

Thx & Rgds,

Wongbali

Re: Unsupported method 'NICK'

Adrian Chadd
On Sat, Sep 08, 2007, Wongbali wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My Squid (2.6S14) displayed a lot of "Unsupported method NICK".
>
> Henrik explained that problem was caused by someone trying to use IRC via
> the proxy.
>
> My question is:
>
> Does the IRC mean YahooMess, MSN Mess, ICQ?

Nope.

Adrian

Re: Unsupported method 'NICK'

On 08.09.07 19:10, Wongbali wrote:
> My Squid (2.6S14) displayed a lot of "Unsupported method NICK".
>
> Henrik explained that problem was caused by someone trying to use IRC via
> the proxy.
>
> My question is:
>
> Does the IRC mean YahooMess, MSN Mess, ICQ?

neither one. it's a different, RFC'ed protocol. I would not say that someone
tries to use IRC via your proxy server. I'd say either someone is trying to
use your proxy server as IRC server (do you run on port 6667 or 7000?), or
you are running intercepting proxy and someone's trying to connect IRC
server running on port 80.

Hmmm, should we make IRC protocol support to squid? ;-)

Quantum mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of.

Re: Unsupported method 'NICK'

Adrian Chadd
On Sat, Sep 08, 2007, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> neither one. it's a different, RFC'ed protocol. I would not say that someone
> tries to use IRC via your proxy server. I'd say either someone is trying to
> use your proxy server as IRC server (do you run on port 6667 or 7000?), or
> you are running intercepting proxy and someone's trying to connect IRC
> server running on port 80.
>
> Hmmm, should we make IRC protocol support to squid? ;-)

Sure. :)

Although SMTP should be high on the list if you're looking for protocols
to "proxy" and do content inspection/tricky routing on.

(And no, don't put that in the main squid process. :)

Adrian

Re: Unsupported method 'NICK'

Wongbali
> On 08.09.07 19:10, Wongbali wrote:
>> My Squid (2.6S14) displayed a lot of "Unsupported method NICK".
>>
>> Henrik explained that problem was caused by someone trying to use IRC via
>> the proxy.
>>
>> My question is:
>>
>> Does the IRC mean YahooMess, MSN Mess, ICQ?
>
> neither one. it's a different, RFC'ed protocol. I would not say that
> someone
> tries to use IRC via your proxy server. I'd say either someone is trying
> use your proxy server as IRC server (do you run on port 6667 or 7000?), or
> you are running intercepting proxy and someone's trying to connect IRC
> server running on port 80.
>
> Hmmm, should we make IRC protocol support to squid? ;-)

Thanks for your reply.

I got report that Unsupported method of request was caused by virus or worm.
After the machines being cleaned up, there are no more Unsupported method
"NICK"

Thx & Rgds,

Wongbali

Re: Unsupported method 'NICK'

> On Sat, Sep 08, 2007, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>
>> neither one. it's a different, RFC'ed protocol. I would not say that
>> someone
>> tries to use IRC via your proxy server. I'd say either someone is trying
>> use your proxy server as IRC server (do you run on port 6667 or 7000?),
>> or
>> you are running intercepting proxy and someone's trying to connect IRC
>> server running on port 80.
>>
>> Hmmm, should we make IRC protocol support to squid? ;-)
>
> Sure. :)
>
> Although SMTP should be high on the list if you're looking for protocols
> to "proxy" and do content inspection/tricky routing on.

Followed closely by TOR, MMS, and NNTP.

> (And no, don't put that in the main squid process. :)

Definitely after the module issues have been decided.

Amos