Using Squid for Gateway Cashing

Stretch _
Hi
I was reading up on squid-cache.org and had questions about using Squid for
Gateway Cashing.
I wish to use Squid as a proxy gateway for our company website.  This site
is an application site, on an internal production server.  What I hope to
accomplish by using Squid. Give access to employees to an internal website
by forwarding the contents to the outside. As users on the outside update
day to day progress, the internal site remains current by syncing with the
data processed by the squid Server.  I would also like the squid Server to
require an SSL connection, since the internal use of it isn’t necessary.

Is this all possible using Squid?

Thank you ever so much.
Irvens Lafond

Re: Using Squid for Gateway Cashing

Henrik Nordström
ons 2007-05-23 klockan 00:10 -0400 skrev Stretch _:

> I wish to use Squid as a proxy gateway for our company website.  This site
> is an application site, on an internal production server.  What I hope to
> accomplish by using Squid. Give access to employees to an internal website
> by forwarding the contents to the outside. As users on the outside update
> day to day progress, the internal site remains current by syncing with the
> data processed by the squid Server.  I would also like the squid Server to
> require an SSL connection, since the internal use of it isnt necessary.
>
> Is this all possible using Squid?

Yes. It's called reverse proxying.

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ReverseProxy

but you might need to do some reconfiguration on the internal server to
make it aware of it's external name, and the fact that there is an SSL
gateway infront of it. The latter is most likely the trickest one. The
reason to this is that most web applications (and servers) uses absolute
URLs including protocol and hostname every now and then, unaware that
the protocol and hostname accessed by the end-user is different..

Regards
Henrik