Where squid deamon is stored?

Peng Yu
I don't find squid3 in /etc/init.d. Does anybody know where the deamon
script is stored?

Peng

Re: Where squid deamon is stored?

Yuri Voinov
man find, no? :-)

18.02.2018 23:38, Peng Yu пишет:
> I don't find squid3 in /etc/init.d. Does anybody know where the deamon
> script is stored?

Re: Where squid deamon is stored?

Lee Brown
On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 9:42 AM, Yuri <[hidden email]> wrote:
man find, no? :-)

18.02.2018 23:38, Peng Yu пишет:
> I don't find squid3 in /etc/init.d. Does anybody know where the deamon
> script is stored?

Depends on your OS.  Windows?  FreeBSD?  Linux?  Probably depends on the linux distro and/or systemd.

For me it's at /usr/local/etc/rc.d (FreeBSD)

I bet you're running a systemd system.  Look at /etc/init.d/README in that case.

Re: Where squid deamon is stored?

Adam Majer
On 02/18/2018 06:38 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
> I don't find squid3 in /etc/init.d. Does anybody know where the deamon
> script is stored?

Probably it's running using systemd these days, which means it's
somewhere under /lib/systemd or /usr/lib/systemd, and you are NOT
suppose to modify that stuff.

For enabled systemd stuff, it will even tell you where things are. For
example on openSUSE Tumbleweed,

# systemctl enable squid
Created symlink
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/squid.service →
/usr/lib/systemd/system/squid.service.

So, how do you overwrite things in systemd? Well, make a directory in
/etc/systemd/system/squid.service.d and write your override settings
there. For example,

# systemctl status squid
● squid.service - Squid caching proxy
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/squid.service; enabled;
vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)

Then,

:/etc/systemd/system/squid.service.d # cat description.conf
[Unit]
Description=testing only

# systemctl daemon-reload
# systemctl status squid

● squid.service - testing only
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/squid.service; enabled;
vendor preset: disabled)
  Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/squid.service.d
           └─description.conf
   Active: inactive (dead)

Hopefully that helps you understand the basics on how to configure
systemd based systems when you need to override the default config files.

- Adam

On 19/02/18 20:52, Adam Majer wrote:
> On 02/18/2018 06:38 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
>> I don't find squid3 in /etc/init.d. Does anybody know where the deamon
>> script is stored?
>>

> Probably it's running using systemd these days, which means it's
> somewhere under /lib/systemd or /usr/lib/systemd, and you are NOT
> suppose to modify that stuff.

Nod. That is where OS matters.

Which OS has not been mentioned yet, though from the name "squid3"
implies Debian or a derivative.

Also, be aware that systemd is not compatible with Squid-3 and packages
should not be installing .service files for those versions of Squid.
Eliezer and some others worked out some .service script setup that kind
of works (almost) with some helper scripts to do the environment
integration parts. But really if you want systemd you should use Squid-4.

On 02/19/2018 09:35 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> On 19/02/18 20:52, Adam Majer wrote:
>> On 02/18/2018 06:38 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
>>> I don't find squid3 in /etc/init.d. Does anybody know where the deamon
>>> script is stored?
>>>

>> Probably it's running using systemd these days, which means it's
>> somewhere under /lib/systemd or /usr/lib/systemd, and you are NOT
>> suppose to modify that stuff.
>
> Nod. That is where OS matters.
>
> Which OS has not been mentioned yet, though from the name "squid3"
> implies Debian or a derivative.

There is also squid3 in SLES11-SP4 and that will exist for a little
while still. But that has SysV init.d scripts though.

> Also, be aware that systemd is not compatible with Squid-3 and packages
> should not be installing .service files for those versions of Squid.
> Eliezer and some others worked out some .service script setup that kind
> of works (almost) with some helper scripts to do the environment
> integration parts. But really if you want systemd you should use Squid-4.

In most cases there is no choice in the matter. For example, SLES12 (so
Leap 42 for openSUSE) is all systemd based and it's been around since
squid 3.3.x days. But the service file there is using squid to manage
squid so it's not that bad ;)

Like it's often in software, sometimes you reach for ideal but then when
you have to ship something you crease and cram to get it in the box ;)

- Adam