With Rock storage, it seems an object can not be copied from disk cache to memory cache after a restart

With Rock storage, it seems an object can not be copied from disk cache to memory cache after a restart

duanyao
Hi,

I have an issue: if I restart Squid (with Rock storage), I can no longer get TCP_MEM_HIT for any object got cached before that restart -- I always get TCP_HIT instead.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Stop squid.

2) Remove & create a new Rock storage, start Squid.

3) Get a url via Squid, e.g.:

  curl -o /dev/null -v -x localhost:3128 http://cdn.bootcss.com/font-linux/0.9/font-linux.woff

  Suppose Squid is running on localhost:3128.

  This should get a TCP_MISS.

4) Repeat step 3, and this should get a TCP_MEM_HIT.

5) Stop & start Squid.

6) Repeat step 3 for more than 2 times, and all the results are TCP_HIT, however I expect the 2nd and following rounds should be TCP_MEM_HIT.

So it seems an object can never be copied from disk cache to memory cache after a restart. Is this normal?

I tested 3.5.27 and master branch in github, the results are same. The configuration file is attached.

Thanks.

Duan, Yao

squid.conf (1K) Download Attachment

Re: With Rock storage, it seems an object can not be copied from disk cache to memory cache after a restart

Alex Rousskov
On 10/31/2017 08:03 PM, duanyao wrote:

> it seems an object can never be copied from disk cache to memory
> cache after a restart. Is this normal?

No, I do not think this is "normal". I do not remember intentionally
disabling such functionality to work around some other problem.

However, my recollection may be faulty, some unknown bug may block this
copying, and/or SMP Squid may lack some code to enable this copying.

> I tested 3.5.27 and master branch in github, the results are same.

I appreciate you testing master! If you get no useful responses,
consider filing a bug report and/or fixing this problem. It is an
important performance problem that should be fixed.

Thank you,

Re: With Rock storage, it seems an object can not be copied from disk cache to memory cache after a restart

duanyao
在 2017/11/1 上午11:27, Alex Rousskov 写道:

> On 10/31/2017 08:03 PM, duanyao wrote:
>
>> it seems an object can never be copied from disk cache to memory
>> cache after a restart. Is this normal?
> No, I do not think this is "normal". I do not remember intentionally
> disabling such functionality to work around some other problem.
>
> However, my recollection may be faulty, some unknown bug may block this
> copying, and/or SMP Squid may lack some code to enable this copying.
>

>> I tested 3.5.27 and master branch in github, the results are same.
> I appreciate you testing master! If you get no useful responses,
> consider filing a bug report and/or fixing this problem. It is an
> important performance problem that should be fixed.

Ok, I'll file a bug first.