X-Forwarded-For

Michael Pelletier
Hello,
I am running squid 3.5.28 and for some reason I can not get X-Forwarded-For added to the http headers. I have "forwarded_for on" and "via on" set in the squid.conf. Any ideas why this will not work?

Disclaimer: Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

Re: X-Forwarded-For

On 10/11/18 9:05 AM, Michael Pelletier wrote:
> Hello,
> I am running squid 3.5.28 and for some reason I can not get
> X-Forwarded-For added to the http headers. I have "forwarded_for on" and
> "via on" set in the squid.conf. Any ideas why this will not work?

Perhapse your Squid has been patched to remove it ?

Perhapse you are looking at the wrong headers ?
 X-Forwarded-For is only added to the request headers sent to servers.

Perhapse you have a later config line setting forwarded_for to "delete"
or "transparent" ?

Re: X-Forwarded-For

Michael Pelletier
Perhapse your Squid has been patched to remove it ?

I am running 3.5.28. I have not installed any patches.

Perhapse you are looking at the wrong headers ?
 X-Forwarded-For is only added to the request headers sent to servers.

Yes. The XFF should be added to the request header and be seen by the server the proxy is communicating with. I have a sniffer on the outside (Internet side) of the proxy and have confirmed the XFF is not being added.

Perhapse you have a later config line setting forwarded_for to "delete"
or "transparent" ?

I have the line "forwarded_for on"

On 10/11/18 3:15 PM, Michael Pelletier wrote:

> Perhapse your Squid has been patched to remove it ?
>
> I am running 3.5.28. I have not installed any patches.
>
> Perhapse you are looking at the wrong headers ?
>  X-Forwarded-For is only added to the request headers sent to servers.
>
> Yes. The XFF should be added to the request header and be seen by the
> server the proxy is communicating with. I have a sniffer on the outside
> (Internet side) of the proxy and have confirmed the XFF is not being added.
>
> Perhapse you have a later config line setting forwarded_for to "delete"
> or "transparent" ?
>
> I have the line "forwarded_for on"

I mean something later in the config. This directive can be set multiple
times and only uses the last value it is set to.

Another possibility is request_header_access rules removing it along
with other headers. IIRC, this header is included in one of the "Other"
or "All" categories.

Re: X-Forwarded-For

Michael Pelletier
Interesting. I will check later. Thanks!

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 9:54 PM Amos Jeffries <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/11/18 3:15 PM, Michael Pelletier wrote:
> Perhapse your Squid has been patched to remove it ?
>
> I am running 3.5.28. I have not installed any patches.
>
> Perhapse you are looking at the wrong headers ?
>  X-Forwarded-For is only added to the request headers sent to servers.
>
> Yes. The XFF should be added to the request header and be seen by the
> server the proxy is communicating with. I have a sniffer on the outside
> (Internet side) of the proxy and have confirmed the XFF is not being added.
>
> Perhapse you have a later config line setting forwarded_for to "delete"
> or "transparent" ?
>
> I have the line "forwarded_for on"

I mean something later in the config. This directive can be set multiple
times and only uses the last value it is set to.

Another possibility is request_header_access rules removing it along
with other headers. IIRC, this header is included in one of the "Other"
or "All" categories.

Amos