YouTube\GoogleVideo caching is here, tested and verified.

YouTube\GoogleVideo caching is here, tested and verified.

Eliezer Croitoru
Hey All,

After quite some time I have compiled a solution for YouTube videos caching
for PC's.
The next step would be to cache it for mobile devices but I am looking for
someone who wants this solution.
The only drawback is that this solution is designed for
intercept\transparent proxies and not tproxy but it might work on these too.

The installation is pretty simple on a systemd based OS like Debian 8+9,
Ubuntu 16.04, CentOS\RHEK 7, Oracle Enterprise Linux 7 and OpenSUSE leap and
above.
It consists of four components:
- local redis DB
- ICAP service binary
- ICAP service system service unit file
- ruby StoreID script

And of course a special squid.conf with ssl_bump enabled.

For now I will not package it using RPM or DEB and will use a shell script
or README.md that describes the installation and usage steps.
Contact me here or by a PM.

Re: YouTube\GoogleVideo caching is here, tested and verified.

mohaja
Hi,
would you mind sharing the details steps, or have you documented it anywhere that we can refer. For me, i would like to test in my school env and maye al so be beneficial for education purposes. Another thing is, does you solution will save a specific video res like 720p or is it vbr ?

And what squid version available for this solution ? i'm using version 3.5 (latest stable).

Thank you

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 7:54 AM, Eliezer Croitoru <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mobile: <a href="tel:%2B972-5-28704261" value="+972528704261">+972-5-28704261

On 06/10/17 14:09, Mohd Akhbar wrote:

> Hi,
> would you mind sharing the details steps, or have you documented it
> anywhere that we can refer. For me, i would like to test in my school
> env and maye al so be beneficial for education purposes. Another thing
> is, does you solution will save a specific video res like 720p or is it
> vbr ?
>
> And what squid version available for this solution ? i'm using version
> 3.5 (latest stable).

As Eliezers post mentioned the design uses SSL-Bump functionality in the
Squid to decrypt the HTTPS portion of the transaction before it does its
magic on the messages themselves.

As a result of that it will still face the cert pinning and HSTS issues,
and any other problems you may be having with the TLS MITM portion of
things. Likewise the usual requirement about following the latest Squid
releases and v4 being better at bumping also apply.

I can't speak as to whether it handles the video resolution cleanly
right now. It should be possible to do though since the resolution is
one of the URL parameters.