daily releases

Vieri
Hi,

Does anyone know of a convenient one-liner to get the latest daily release tarball, eg. http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v4/squid-4.5-20190128-r568e66b7c.tar.gz, without having to search for it manually on the web?

Either that or a symlink that would always point to the "latest daily".

Thanks,

Vieri

Re: daily releases

L.P.H. van Belle
Hai,

I use this for the latest 4.xx release
mkdir squid && curl -q -L $(lynx -listonly -nonumbers -dump http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v4/  | grep squid-4.5 | grep ".tar.gz") | tar -xz -C squid  --strip-components 1 -f -

and this one for the daily
mkdir squid-$(date +%F) && curl -q -L $(lynx -listonly -nonumbers -dump http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v4/  | grep "squid-4.5-" | grep ".tar.gz") | tar -xz -C squid-$(date +%F)  --strip-components 1 -f -

maybe is possible in another way but this works for me.

greetz,

Louis

On 31/01/19 3:10 am, Vieri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of a convenient one-liner to get the latest daily
> release tarball, eg.
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v4/squid-4.5-20190128-r568e66b7c.tar.gz,
> without having to search for it manually on the web?

The contents of the tarball are provided by rsync to optimize update
bandwidth:

<https://wiki.squid-cache.org/DeveloperResources#Bootstrapped_sources_via_rsync>

Re: daily releases

Vieri

On Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 9:12:51 PM GMT+1, Amos Jeffries <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a convenient one-liner to get the latest daily
>> release tarball, eg.
>> http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v4/squid-4.5-20190128-r568e66b7c.tar.gz,
>> without having to search for it manually on the web?
>
> The contents of the tarball are provided by rsync to optimize update
> bandwidth:
>
> <https://wiki.squid-cache.org/DeveloperResources#Bootstrapped_sources_via_rsync>

rsync allows to sync the latest source for a particular main version (eg. Squid 4 or Squid 5).
However, it does not allow to pull in squid v. 4's source code published on Jan 28th 2019 just like I would get by downloading squid-4.5-20190128-r568e66b7c.tar.gz.
Furthermore, I'm guessing that the "daily" tarballs that are published on the web site's download page are hand-picked because they are known to solve bugs, and are considered to be somewhat "stable". For instance, if I were to rsync today would I get the same code as that of the above mentioned tarball?

Another simple solution would be to be able to list the files in the /Versions/v4/ directory, but it is not allowed by the server.

Vieri

Re: daily releases

Alex Rousskov
On 1/31/19 5:20 AM, Vieri wrote:

> I'm guessing that the "daily" tarballs that are published on the web
> site's download page are hand-picked because they are known to solve
> bugs, and are considered to be somewhat "stable".

AFAIK, daily tarballs are published automatically. If the script can
build a tarball today, the script publishes it. Exceptional situations
aside, there is no human involved. And that is how it is supposed to be.

Automated tests and pull request reviews offer some protection, but they
cannot guarantee stability.