dns_v4_first off for squid Squid Cache: Version 5.0.0-20190715-rd3527ec67

dns_v4_first off for squid Squid Cache: Version 5.0.0-20190715-rd3527ec67

--Ahmad--
Hello Folks .

i have a problem with IPV6 when i moved to squid Squid Cache: Version 5.0.0-20190715-rd3527ec67.

in squid 3.5 when i put :
dns_v4_first off
i have all resolution of domains for ipv6 as 1st priority then ipv4 .

but …
when i have squid 5.x.x

seems this directive not effective bec i keep have all domains to be ipv4 1st .

can you check for me if its config or squid version ?

Kind regards

Re: dns_v4_first off for squid Squid Cache: Version 5.0.0-20190715-rd3527ec67

On 2019-07-30 09:37, --Ahmad-- wrote:

> Hello Folks .
>
> i have a problem with IPV6 when i moved to squid Squid Cache: Version
> 5.0.0-20190715-rd3527ec67.
>
> in squid 3.5 when i put :
> dns_v4_first off
> i have all resolution of domains for ipv6 as 1st priority then ipv4 .
>
> but …
> when i have squid 5.x.x
> seems this directive not effective bec i keep have all domains to be
> ipv4 1st .

Squid-5 has the remaining parts of Happy Eyeballs algorithm for DNS
resolving which were missing from earlier Squid. IPs are used as soon as
they are delivered, and both types of TCP connection are attempted in
parallel - with first TCP connection type to open being used. That makes
sorting the way that directive used to do no longer reliable.

The ideal setup is to have working ICMP and ICMPv6 to inform Squid
quickly of connectivity issues so it can skip past any non-working
server IPs.

Alternatively; to force IPv4 use first configure the DNS resolver used
by Squid to send the IPs in your desired order, or reject AAAA queries.
That will ensure software other than Squid uses your preferences too.

<http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v5/squid-5.0.0-20190719-re10182dab-RELEASENOTES.html#ss2.2>

On 7/29/19 5:37 PM, --Ahmad-- wrote:

> Hello Folks .
>
> i have a problem with IPV6 when i moved to squid Squid Cache: Version 5.0.0-20190715-rd3527ec67.
>
> in squid 3.5 when i put :
> dns_v4_first off
> i have all resolution of domains for ipv6 as 1st priority then ipv4 .
>
> but …
> when i have squid 5.x.x
>
> seems this directive not effective bec i keep have all domains to be ipv4 1st .

Yes, Squid v5 ignores dns_v4_first. That option is supposed to be
completely removed IIRC.

> can you check for me if its config or squid version ?

Please see the Happy Eyeballs Update section in future v5 release
notes[1a, 1b] while keeping in mind another big Happy Eyeballs change[2]
that is currently waiting for the reviewer who has been stalling it for
3+ months.

[1a]
https://github.com/squid-cache/squid/blob/master/doc/release-notes/release-5.sgml#L65

[1b]