how to set a custom ICAP "Allow" header?

how to set a custom ICAP "Allow" header?

claudiu.saiz
This post was updated on .
I want to set a custom "Allow" header for messages that Squid sends to ICAP, in order to enable trailer support for ICAP.

I tried:

/acl all_requests src all
adaptation_meta Allow "trailers" all_requests/

, but it doesn't work since "Allow" is a reserved header name.

Is there any way to do this?

Re: how to set a custom ICAP "Allow" header?

On 23/03/18 03:04, claudiu.saiz wrote:
> I want to set a custom "Allow" header in ICAP OPTIONS messages, in order to
> allow Trailer support for ICAP.

That is not how protocols work. Agents advertise what features they
support and recipients can choose to use those features they understand
(or not).

No amount of forcing headers to be sent will make feature behaviours
actually happen in the proper way (quite the opposite). Nor magically
make the necessary code exist if they are not already supported.

> I tried:
>
> /acl all_requests src all
> adaptation_meta Allow "trailers" all_requests/
>
> , but it doesn't work since "Allow" is a reserved header name.
>
> Is there any way to do this?

Support for the still experimental ICAP Trailers feature is only
available in Squid-5. So if you require this feature you will thus be
required to run the Squid-5.0.0 alpha code at present. And it will
*only* work if the ICAP service contains matching support for the feature.
 <http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v5/>

HTH

Re: how to set a custom ICAP "Allow" header?

claudiu.saiz
Yes, I have an ICAP service that supports trailers but negotiation is needed
in order for the service to enable the feature (as described in the errata:
http://www.measurement-factory.com/std/icap/#e3).

Thank you for the information, I will try Squid-5.

Re: how to set a custom ICAP "Allow" header?

Alex Rousskov
On 03/22/2018 09:07 AM, claudiu.saiz wrote:
> Yes, I have an ICAP service that supports trailers but negotiation is needed
> in order for the service to enable the feature (as described in the errata:
> http://www.measurement-factory.com/std/icap/#e3).

Sending ICAP Allow:trailers request header is necessary but not
sufficient for ICAP trailers support:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rousskov-icap-trailers-01

As Amos has said, the necessary code is in Squid v5 (the current master
branch).

Cheers,