large rock store and shared large objects

large rock store and shared large objects

According to rock store documentation[1], the
"
Objects larger than 32,000 bytes cannot be cached when cache_dirs are shared
among workers.
"

does this still apply with large rock store[2]?

[1] https://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/RockStore
[2] https://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/LargeRockStore
A day without sunshine is like, night.

Re: large rock store and shared large objects

On 04/05/18 22:22, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> According to rock store documentation[1], the
> "
> Objects larger than 32,000 bytes cannot be cached when cache_dirs are
> shared
> among workers.
> "
>
> does this still apply with large rock store[2]?
>
> [1] https://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/RockStore
> [2] https://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/LargeRockStore

"Definitions

    Small: fits in one db slot (in Small Rock, the slot size is the same
as max-size and all cached entries are small).
    Large: not small.
    Huge: gigabytes in size.
"

Not being smaller than a 32KB 'slot' is the definition of "large".

Re: large rock store and shared large objects

Matus UHLAR - fantomas

On 04.05.18 22:29, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>"Definitions
>
>    Small: fits in one db slot (in Small Rock, the slot size is the same
>as max-size and all cached entries are small).
>    Large: not small.
>    Huge: gigabytes in size.
>"
>
>Not being smaller than a 32KB 'slot' is the definition of "large".

Thank you, but how does it answer my question?

does that mean that LargeRockStore allows to split and store objects larger
than slot size, but sharing them between workers is a different story?

42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

On 04/05/18 22:50, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

>> On 04/05/18 22:22, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> According to rock store documentation[1], the
>>> "
>>> Objects larger than 32,000 bytes cannot be cached when cache_dirs are
>>> shared
>>> among workers.
>>> "
>>>
>>> does this still apply with large rock store[2]?
>>>
>>> [1] https://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/RockStore
>>> [2] https://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/LargeRockStore
>
> On 04.05.18 22:29, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> "Definitions
>>
>>    Small: fits in one db slot (in Small Rock, the slot size is the same
>> as max-size and all cached entries are small).
>>    Large: not small.
>>    Huge: gigabytes in size.
>> "
>>
>> Not being smaller than a 32KB 'slot' is the definition of "large".
>
> Thank you, but how does it answer my question?
>
> does that mean that LargeRockStore allows to split and store objects larger
> than slot size, but sharing them between workers is a different story?

If you configure the slot size over 32KB (actually a small bit less)
then SMP workers cannot share them. Original rock store defaulted to a
slot size that would work, but you can make them larger if wanted (at
cost of SMP support).

"large rock store" is an extension to rock store which allows objects to
be split over many slots. So you don't have to increase the slot size
above that 32KB limit.

Re: large rock store and shared large objects

> According to rock store documentation[1], the
> "
> Objects larger than 32,000 bytes cannot be cached when cache_dirs are
> shared among workers.
> "
>
> does this still apply with large rock store[2]?

No, this does not apply to Large Rock. Modern rock caches share all
cached objects.

Just wanted to post a direct/simple answer for the record. What Amos has
detailed on this thread can be interpreted to match my answer AFAICT...

Alex.
P.S. This confusion is a bad side effect of using a simple wiki for
feature documentation and keeping old Feature pages around. SslBump
suffers the same fate. We need a better approach, and a documentation
volunteer to make it happen.