native ftp and proxy authentication

Dieter Bloms-2
Hello,

I use the native ftp support of squid-4.0.22 and it works well without proxy
authentication.
I want to enable the proxy authentication, but don't know how to login
to the proxy with the native ftp client.

Without proxy authentication the string ftpuser@ftpserver works fine.
When I enable proxy-authentication, then I have to enter the proxy
credentials, but don't know how to do it.
I tried "proxyuser@ftpuser@ftpserver" for username, but it doesn't work.

Is there any support for native ftp protocol and proxy authentication ?

  Dieter

From field.

Re: native ftp and proxy authentication

Alex Rousskov
On 12/15/2017 03:53 AM, Dieter Bloms wrote:

> I use the native ftp support of squid-4.0.22 and it works well without proxy
> authentication.

> I want to enable the proxy authentication, but don't know how to login
> to the proxy with the native ftp client.

Does your native FTP client support FTP proxy authentication?

> Without proxy authentication the string ftpuser@ftpserver works fine.
> When I enable proxy-authentication, then I have to enter the proxy
> credentials, but don't know how to do it.

"How to give FTP client credentials for proxy authentication" seems like
a question for your FTP client support forum, not squid-users. We do not
even know what FTP client you use. Did I misunderstand the question?

IIRC, proxyuser@ftpuser@ftpserver tells Squid to go to ftpserver using
proxyuser@ftpuser as the user name/login.

> Is there any support for native ftp protocol and proxy authentication ?

I doubt there is native FTP proxy authentication support in Squid, but
to be sure, it would be great to know how that works from the FTP client
point of view. In other words, when an FTP client supports FTP proxy
authentication, what does it send to the FTP proxy (i.e., to Squid)?

Cheers,

Re: native ftp and proxy authentication

Dieter Bloms-2
Hello Alex,

thank you for your answer!

On Fri, Dec 15, Alex Rousskov wrote:

> On 12/15/2017 03:53 AM, Dieter Bloms wrote:
>
> > I use the native ftp support of squid-4.0.22 and it works well without proxy
> > authentication.
>
> > I want to enable the proxy authentication, but don't know how to login
> > to the proxy with the native ftp client.
>
> Does your native FTP client support FTP proxy authentication?

No it doesn't.
So it would be nice to have a solution, which works with every ftp
client.
I think about an option in squid.conf where I can configure the login
schema, like proxyuser@ftpuser@ftpserver for the user login and
proxypass@ftppass for the password.

> > Without proxy authentication the string ftpuser@ftpserver works fine.
> > When I enable proxy-authentication, then I have to enter the proxy
> > credentials, but don't know how to do it.
>
> "How to give FTP client credentials for proxy authentication" seems like
> a question for your FTP client support forum, not squid-users. We do not
> even know what FTP client you use. Did I misunderstand the question?

I want a genric solution, so that every ftp client can use the ftp proxy
support of squid.
At the moment I have to use a commercial ftp client which doesn't
have any proxy option.

> > I tried "proxyuser@ftpuser@ftpserver" for username, but it doesn't work.
>
> IIRC, proxyuser@ftpuser@ftpserver tells Squid to go to ftpserver using
> proxyuser@ftpuser as the user name/login.

Yes, and it would be nice to configure squid, so squid extract the proxy
authentication from this string.

> > Is there any support for native ftp protocol and proxy authentication ?
>
> I doubt there is native FTP proxy authentication support in Squid, but
> to be sure, it would be great to know how that works from the FTP client
> point of view. In other words, when an FTP client supports FTP proxy
> authentication, what does it send to the FTP proxy (i.e., to Squid)?

It doesn't have proxy support, it only sends the USER and PASS string.

  Dieter

From field.