(no subject)

Ing. Pedro Pablo Delgado Martell

I have been reading about the difference between a KB and a KiB, Kilobyte and Kibibyte respectively. According to several websites, also Google,  1KB = 1000 bytes and 1KiB = 1024 bytes. However, you guys say on /etc/squid/squid.conf this:

"Units accepted by Squid are:

        bytes - byte

        KB - Kilobyte (1024 bytes)

"

This email is not for criticize your work, I'm only looking for some clearance because right now I'm confused about how Squid is really measuring files.

Re: (no subject)

Yuri Voinov

https://i.imgur.com/bDw1O2b.png

08.12.2017 1:12, Ing. Pedro Pablo Delgado Martell пишет:

I have been reading about the difference between a KB and a KiB, Kilobyte and Kibibyte respectively. According to several websites, also Google,  1KB = 1000 bytes and 1KiB = 1024 bytes. However, you guys say on /etc/squid/squid.conf this:

"Units accepted by Squid are:

        bytes - byte

        KB - Kilobyte (1024 bytes)

"

This email is not for criticize your work, I'm only looking for some clearance because right now I'm confused about how Squid is really measuring files.

"Some people, when confronted with a problem, think «I know, I'll use regular expressions.» Now they have two problems."
--Jamie Zawinsk

Re: (no subject)

Yuri Voinov

In our kilobyte - one thousand twenty-four bytes. :)

PS. And in our zettabayte - ten in the twenty-first degree byte. :)

08.12.2017 1:29, Yuri пишет:

https://i.imgur.com/bDw1O2b.png

08.12.2017 1:12, Ing. Pedro Pablo Delgado Martell пишет:

I have been reading about the difference between a KB and a KiB, Kilobyte and Kibibyte respectively. According to several websites, also Google,  1KB = 1000 bytes and 1KiB = 1024 bytes. However, you guys say on /etc/squid/squid.conf this:

"Units accepted by Squid are:

        bytes - byte

        KB - Kilobyte (1024 bytes)

"

This email is not for criticize your work, I'm only looking for some clearance because right now I'm confused about how Squid is really measuring files.

"Some people, when confronted with a problem, think «I know, I'll use regular expressions.» Now they have two problems."
--Jamie Zawinsk

**************************
* C++: Bug to the future *
**************************

--
"Some people, when confronted with a problem, think «I know, I'll use regular expressions.» Now they have two problems."
--Jamie Zawinsk

Re: (no subject)

Yuri Voinov

We are in trouble with bugs that do not close for years, they excite us, and you're here with units of measurement :)

08.12.2017 1:35, Yuri пишет:

Oooops! zetta-byte :)

08.12.2017 1:29, Yuri пишет:

[...]

Antony Stone
On Thursday 07 December 2017 at 20:34:22, Yuri wrote:

> In our kilobyte - one thousand twenty-four bytes. :)

This has been the definition since the earliest days of computing (or at least,
as soon as any computer had 1024 of anything...)

This (rather stupid-sounding, in my opinion) kibibyte stuff is a much more
recently introduced term, and is basically only needed for marketing people.

2^10 is a much more natural quantity of anything to have in computer terms
(since the whole system is based on binary) than 10^3 is, however 10^3 is a
smaller number, therefore the marketing people can tell you that the product
contains more of them.

Antony.

--
Software development can be quick, high quality, or low cost.

The customer gets to pick any two out of three.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Re: (no subject)

Yuri Voinov
I love power of 2 :)

And in our kilometer is 1024 m ;)

--
"Some people, when confronted with a problem, think «I know, I'll use regular expressions.» Now they have two problems."
--Jamie Zawinsk

Re: KB vs KiB

On 12/07/2017 12:12 PM, Ing. Pedro Pablo Delgado Martell wrote:

> I have been reading about the difference between a KB and a KiB,
> Kilobyte and Kibibyte respectively. According to several websites, also
> Google,  1KB = 1000 bytes and 1KiB = 1024 bytes. However, you guys say
> on /etc/squid/squid.conf this:
>
> "Units accepted by Squid are:
>
>         bytes - byte
>
>         KB - Kilobyte (*1024 bytes*)
> "
>
> This email is not for criticize your work, I'm only looking for some
> clearance because right now I'm confused about how Squid is really
> measuring files.
 The statement in squid.conf.documented is accurate: When parsing
size-related options that support units, Squid interprets the KB suffix
as 1024 bytes. This classic/legacy interpretation predates and violates
some of the modern conventions/standards. I do not anticipate changes in
this area because it is not trivial to make such changes
backwards-compatible, and because we should solve much bigger problems
first.

Please note that Squid may use a different KB definition in other
contexts, especially in various reports and cache.log messages.

Re: KB vs KiB

Kinkie

> On Dec 7, 2017, at 22:14, Alex Rousskov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 12/07/2017 12:12 PM, Ing. Pedro Pablo Delgado Martell wrote:
>> I have been reading about the difference between a KB and a KiB,
>> Kilobyte and Kibibyte respectively. According to several websites, also
>> Google,  1KB = 1000 bytes and 1KiB = 1024 bytes. However, you guys say
>> on /etc/squid/squid.conf this:
>>
>> "Units accepted by Squid are:
>>
>>         bytes - byte
>>
>>         KB - Kilobyte (*1024 bytes*)
>> "
>>
>> This email is not for criticize your work, I'm only looking for some
>> clearance because right now I'm confused about how Squid is really
>> measuring files.
> The statement in squid.conf.documented is accurate: When parsing
> size-related options that support units, Squid interprets the KB suffix
> as 1024 bytes. This classic/legacy interpretation predates and violates
> some of the modern conventions/standards. I do not anticipate changes in
> this area because it is not trivial to make such changes
> backwards-compatible, and because we should solve much bigger problems
> first.
>
> Please note that Squid may use a different KB definition in other
> contexts, especially in various reports and cache.log messages.

I’d add that patches or pull requests aiming to add uniformity to how these values are interpreted and printed are welcome; in this case however backwards compatibility should be guaranteed: this change doesn’t in my opinion meet the standard required for changing the behavior of deployed configurations.

        Francesco

Re: (no subject)

On 07.12.17 14:12, Ing. Pedro Pablo Delgado Martell wrote:
>I have been reading about the difference between a KB and a KiB,

the kilo (1000) uses lowercase 'k' as defined by SI prefixes.

... when learning about computers some 30 years ago, we have used
capital 'K' that was meant to be 1024.

later I was told that some people (apparently mostly at electrical
engineering) used upper case K, M and G to measure multiples, while lower
case m, u and n were meant for fractions.

Ki, Mi and Gi were introduced later in order to provide more precise
in computing environment.

HDD manufacturers still use decimal prefixes - it looks better to have 5000
gigabyte HDDs than 4656 Gigabyte...