query parameters filtering

Praveen Valaboju

Hi,
we have configured squid3 with ssl,
cache is working fine with http and https for hls without any query parameters in url

below two cases not working, could you please help us on this
1) Dash content is not getting cached - do we need to make any changes ?
2) if we append any query parameter like token, expiration time for url, the cache is not working

Please find the squid config file
thanks in advance

Regards,
Praveen

openssl

squid.conf (22K) Download Attachment

Re: query parameters filtering

On 10/12/18 9:01 pm, Praveen Valaboju wrote:

> Hi,
> we have configured squid3 with ssl,
> cache is working fine with http and https for hls without any query
> parameters in url
>
> below two cases not working, could you please help us on this
> 1) Dash content is not getting cached - do we need to make any changes ?

Depends on what those Dash messages do, and what HTTP header mechanisms
they are using.

FYI: Your config is also causing a lot of HTTP violations to take place.
The only guarantee you have is that thing will *not* work perfectly.

> 2) if we append any query parameter like token, expiration time for url,
> the cache is not working

Cache is based on a hash of the full URL. Any single-character change
anywhere, including the query section makes the transaction a different
URL. This is just how HTTP caching works.

Details such as expiration times or non-URL content identifiers are
supposed to be sent in the HTTP headers which exist for such things
(e.g. Expires, Cache-Control:max-age, or Last-Modified).

We have a Store-ID feature in Squid-3.4 or later to workaround sites
that duplicate *exactly* identical content at many URLs. This is a
dangerous feature though, so use with extreme caution.

> Please find the squid config file

FWIW; This config file shows a Squid version which is extremely out
dated. Squid-3.1 is not capable of several highly important and popular
TLS features, nor of proper HTTP/1.1 caching (still has HTTP/1.0 caching).

Our current production (aka. "stable") release is Squid-4.4. Or for less
recent OS versions the previous Squid-3.5.28 should be available and can
serve modern HTTP caching needs far better.