squid 4/5 feature request send login informations to peers

squid 4/5 feature request send login informations to peers

David Touzeau-3

Hi,

We a first Squid using Kerberos + Active Directory authentication.
This first squid is used to limit access using ACls and Active Directory groups.

This first squid using parents as peer in order to access to internet in this way:

                             | --------> SQUID B ----------> Internet 1
squid A ------------->
                             | ---------> SQUID C ---------> Internet 2

1) We want
using ACLs too ( for delegation purpose ) on Squid B and C
2) For legal logs purpose compliance.

In this case,  the username discovered in SQUIDA must be transmitted to SQUID B AND C and SQUID B-C must accept the information in order to use as login information to parse acls

Is it possible ?

If not: wee have seen that the Proxy protocol accept to transmit the source IP/login information to peers that are compliance with proxy protocol.
but the peers method in squid did not allow to use Proxy protocol.
Is it possible to add the "Proxy Protocol" support in peers method ?

Re: squid 4/5 feature request send login informations to peers

On 17/11/20 9:27 pm, David Touzeau wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We a first Squid using Kerberos + Active Directory authentication.
> This first squid is used to limit access using ACls and Active Directory
> groups.
>
> This first squid using parents as peer in order to access to internet in
> this way:
>
>                               | --------> SQUID B ----------> Internet 1
> squid A ------------->
>                               | ---------> SQUID C ---------> Internet 2
>
> 1) We want using ACLs too ( for delegation purpose ) on Squid B and C
> 2) For legal logs purpose compliance.
>
> In this case,  the username discovered in SQUIDA must be transmitted to
> SQUID B AND C and SQUID B-C must accept the information in order to use
> as login information to parse acls
>
> Is it possible ?

You can send the username. But the security token is tied to the
client<->SquidA TCP connection - it cannot be validated by other servers
than SquidA.

This should not matter though. Since Squid A is only permitting
authenticated traffic you can *authorize* at Squid B and C based only on
the source being one of your Squid with valid username.

> If not: wee have seen that the Proxy protocol accept to transmit the
> source IP/login information to peers that are compliance with proxy
> protocol.
> but the peers method in squid did not allow to use Proxy protocol.
> Is it possible to add the "Proxy Protocol" support in peers method ?

It is possible to implement (for Squid-6 earliest) PROXYv2 for
cache_peer. But the credentials security token remains tied to SquidA
service.