squid & http-1.1

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

squid & http-1.1

L A Walsh
Does squid support HTTP 1.1 yet?  I have an older version and was
wondering if there was a version that I could upgrade to that
supported 1.1.  Seems like 1.1 can provide noticeable speed
improvements over 1.0, and that would be a bonus w/my connection
speed...

If it's not there yet, are there plans to offer it anytime
in the not too distant future? :-)



thanks,
-linda





Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: squid & http-1.1

Amos Jeffries
Administrator
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:26:41 -0800, Linda W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does squid support HTTP 1.1 yet?  I have an older version and was
> wondering if there was a version that I could upgrade to that
> supported 1.1.  Seems like 1.1 can provide noticeable speed
> improvements over 1.0, and that would be a bonus w/my connection
> speed...
>
> If it's not there yet, are there plans to offer it anytime
> in the not too distant future? :-)
>
> thanks,
> -linda

Both Yes and No.

Since 2.6 each release of Squid has (chronologically) had a bit more
HTTP/1.1 support.

The speed increases 1.1 offers are limited and based more around the newer
software simply being faster. If speed is an important issue to you upgrade
to Squid-2.7 anyway. Otherwise test out Squid-3.1 and see if its usable for
you.

AFAICT 3.1 has ~1% more HTTP/1.1 support that 2.7, but is somewhat slower
on small disk objects, faster on large and about equal on memory stored
objects.

NP: Squid cannot make network fetches go faster than the line speed. All
it can do is cache things locally for a repeat request to be faster. For
the best caching controls it's a toss up between 2.7 and 3.1 as of this
writing.

Amos

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: squid & http-1.1

L A Walsh
Amos Jeffries wrote:
> NP: Squid cannot make network fetches go faster than the line speed. All
> it can do is cache things locally for a repeat request to be faster. For
> the best caching controls it's a toss up between 2.7 and 3.1 as of this
> writing.
----
        Doesn't HTTP 1.1 specify that content can use compressed content?  
Where does pipelining come in?  1.0 or 1.1?  Not that's generally useful, but
doesn't 1.1 also allow partial  or range downloads?   Compression would be good on
the non-media portions for speeding up downloads, no?

        I have a large-ish disk, but only ~6G set aside for squid.  I suppose that'd
be a benefit if all my content were out of the cache, but it is good when I need to
retrieve a few hundred meg image of something out of cache.  I guess it depends on
what you mean by 'large'...

        I just asked because MS-OFFICE tried to 'activate' by using 1.1 due to incorrect
settings in IE -- Setting IE to force 1.0 let it work.  Nothing to do with cache
size, but it reminded me to ask about 1.1 -- it's a default setting in IE8 (Hadn't
installed FF yet! :-)).


-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: squid & http-1.1

Amos Jeffries
Administrator
Linda W wrote:
> Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> NP: Squid cannot make network fetches go faster than the line speed. All
>> it can do is cache things locally for a repeat request to be faster. For
>> the best caching controls it's a toss up between 2.7 and 3.1 as of this
>> writing.
> ----
>     Doesn't HTTP 1.1 specify that content can use compressed content?  

Yes, 1.1 allows chunks, but Squid decodes chunks on the fly before
passing them on. There are also limits on how large the files can be
before de-chunking fails.

> Where does pipelining come in?  1.0 or 1.1?

Not sure, Squid does up to 2 requests pipelined, regardless of the
version. More than that and they get delayed reading off the wire until
the first one in has completed.

>  Not that's generally
> useful, but
> doesn't 1.1 also allow partial  or range downloads?

Yes, but Squid cannot cache such requests. If it can cache a full
request it can server them out of cache. That only requires the client
browser/app be 1.1.

>   Compression would
> be good on
> the non-media portions for speeding up downloads, no?

transfer-level chunking yes, can improve things arriving at Squid. But
gets decoded for storage and no gain outward.

gzip compression on the web server before sending is a 1.0 feature and
most web servers are capable of doing it anyway.

>
>     I have a large-ish disk, but only ~6G set aside for squid.  I
> suppose that'd
> be a benefit if all my content were out of the cache, but it is good
> when I need to retrieve a few hundred meg image of something out of
> cache.  I guess it depends on
> what you mean by 'large'...
>
>     I just asked because MS-OFFICE tried to 'activate' by using 1.1 due
> to incorrect
> settings in IE -- Setting IE to force 1.0 let it work.  Nothing to do
> with cache
> size, but it reminded me to ask about 1.1 -- it's a default setting in
> IE8 (Hadn't
> installed FF yet! :-)).
>
> -l

Something weird going on with office or the activation server and their
use of 1.1 then. HTTP/1.1 is explicitly designed to not break when going
through a non-1.1 middleware proxy.

Amos
--
Please be using
   Current Stable Squid 2.7.STABLE7 or 3.0.STABLE20
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.15
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: squid & http-1.1

L A Walsh
Amos Jeffries wrote:
> Something weird going on with office or the activation server and their
> use of 1.1 then. HTTP/1.1 is explicitly designed to not break when going
> through a non-1.1 middleware proxy.
---
        When are they NOT doing something weird?