squid as wpad server?

L A Walsh
I seem to remember reading that one way to improve reliability is to have
your proxy software be able to double as a web-server for WPAD.dat.

Is there a published means for doing this w/squid or would something need
to be cobbled together?

I'm currently running a small internal-only webs-server (lighttpd) which
is still slowly suffering from creeping featurism and takes
re-en-lightening
myself with new SW updates and just thinking some way to do the same
in squid might make for 1 less piece of SW to think about configuring and
keeping alive (not that it needs to do much).

Of course, in addition to updates, there's always the temptation to do
more with it, internally, and probably mangling my wpad server in the
process (at least until I caught it).

Anyway, given the advice in the wiki regarding WPAD and the reliability of
having it in your proxy, it seemed like it might be something that's come
up before...(?)  Would seem to be just a matter of listening for
requests on port 80 (wpad+proxy at same IP) and serving up the
wpad.dat static file.

Re: squid as wpad server?

On 31/07/18 18:01, L A Walsh wrote:
> I seem to remember reading that one way to improve reliability is to have
> your proxy software be able to double as a web-server for WPAD.dat.
>
> Is there a published means for doing this w/squid or would something need
> to be cobbled together?

The work I was doing on Squid having an internal web server got mired in
the QA feature creep and abandoned.

Currently I use this config:

 acl WPAD urlpath_regex ^/wpad.dat$
 deny_info 200:wpad.dat WPAD
 http_access deny WPAD
 reply_header_access Content-Type deny WPAD
 reply_header_replace Content-Type application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig

With a symlink from /usr/share/squid/errors/templates/wpad.dat pointing
to my /etc/squid/wpad.dat file.

This has the added benefit that the wpad.dat can use Squid custom error
page %h macro to insert the proxy hostname dynamically without needing a
different wpad.dat for each POP.

I do have to take care that the templates package being upgraded does
not erase the symlink though.

Re: squid as wpad server?

L.P.H. van Belle
Read :
https://findproxyforurl.com/official-toolset/
That one helped me a lot, all you want to know is there imo.

Greetz,

Louis

Re: squid as wpad server?

L A Walsh
L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> Read :
> https://findproxyforurl.com/official-toolset/
> That one helped me a lot, all you want to know is there imo.
----
        Seems like that is mostly about setting one up.

        I already have a working one, but in reading docs on the squid wiki
it was suggested that having your proxy being able to 'double' as
your web-proxy was one way to reduce some complexity -- so I wasn't
trying to set one up -- already did that with a smallish webserver that
serves up my wpad.dat file, with dns and dhcp records both pointing at
that resource -- seems to work find for all tested browsers.

        It's the merge thingy that likely wouldn't be in a standard toolset
that does something like what Jeffery maybe had done that might suffice.

I'll have to try that to give it a spin.

To someone else's setup question, I threw my current dns-like settings at them
and mentioned how   wpad needs to be contacted before the proxy as wpad is
supposed to tell a browser where the proxy is or which proxy to use.

Thanks for the pointers though!