squid client or cache manager under Multi instance squid /SMP

squid client or cache manager under Multi instance squid /SMP

--Ahmad--
Hello Guys ,

i have no idea who to use squid client or cache manager when i have multiple instances of squid running .

say i have 2 instances

squid -n 1 -f 1.conf
squid -n 2 -f 2.conf

all what i need is to see the request rate hitting each instance above .
how can i use the cache manager ?

is there an option for squid client app ?

more Q
if i have both ( multi instance with SMP say 4 workers )

how can i see the request rate on the total instance and request rate on the kids of this instance   ?

kind regards

Re: squid client or cache manager under Multi instance squid /SMP

Peter Viskup
Hello Ahmad,
your instances should have different ports opened. Use squidclient's options -p -h to request the appropriate instance.

Example from our server:

proxy02:/etc/squid $ squidclient -p 8080 cache_object://localhost/ mgr:info|grep "Start Time"
Start Time:     Thu, 22 Mar 2018 13:09:24 GMT
proxy02:/etc/squid $ squidclient -p 3128 cache_object://localhost/ mgr:info|grep "Start Time"
Start Time:     Fri, 23 Mar 2018 13:03:20 GMT

Not sure whether it is possible to get per-thread stats.

It also depends on the Squid's version as stated on wiki [1]. Only versions 3.5+ can be run as multi-instance with SMP enabled.
More information about how the load is distributed across SMP threads is on another wiki page [2].

--
Peter

On 29/03/18 01:53, --Ahmad-- wrote:

> Hello Guys ,
>
> i have no idea who to use squid client or cache manager when i have multiple instances of squid running .
>
> say i have 2 instances
>
> squid -n 1 -f 1.conf
> squid -n 2 -f 2.conf
>

> all what i need is to see the request rate hitting each instance above .
> how can i use the cache manager ?

Send the manager requests to a port on the instance you are trying to
get a report from.

If you are using cachemgr.cgi configure it as if each instance was a
different server with separate IP:port's.

> is there an option for squid client app ?

You means "squidclient" ? or any client?

> more Q
> if i have both ( multi instance with SMP say 4 workers )
>
> how can i see the request rate on the total instance and request rate on the kids of this instance   ?

SMP Squid are supposed to support "kid=N" query parameters on their
manager URLs that get just that worker (kid) data. But I'm not sure that
works properly.