squid.config

Sérgio Vieira
Hello,
Regarding squid config file, on MacOS, I can’t add the following parameter:

strip_query_terms off

I can access the file and edit it, but after restart the file removes the added line...

I have the config file at /Users/sergiovieira/Library/Preferences

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Re: squid.config

Antony Stone
On Tuesday 13 August 2019 at 21:18:51, Sérgio Vieira wrote:

> Hello,
> Regarding squid config file, on MacOS, I can’t add the following parameter:
> strip_query_terms off
>
> I can access the file and edit it, but after restart the file removes the
> added line...
>
> I have the config file at /Users/sergiovieira/Library/Preferences

My first questions would be: How did you install Squid on this machine?  What
instructions did you follow?

That looks like a really unusual path to the squid.conf file to me, but then
again I don't use a Mac, so maybe it's entirely reasonable.

However, a bit more information would probably be helpful:

 - which version of OSX are you installing on?

 - which version of Squid are you installing?

 - as asked before, how are you installing it?

 - how do you start / stop the Squid process?

Regards,

Antony.

--
Schrödinger's rule of data integrity: the condition of any backup is unknown
until a restore is attempted.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Re: squid.config

Sérgio Vieira
Hello,

Regarding your questions:
- macOS Mojave 10.14.6
- Squid v4.0
- Instructions in the site mentioned above
- I use SquidMan

Why the changes in the config file don’t got permanent?

Thanks in advance.
Regards

On 14/08/19 9:11 am, Sérgio Vieira wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I followed the instructions on this
> site: https://howchoo.com/g/mwi3ntu1mjq/how-to-set-up-a-proxy-server-on-mac
>
> Regarding your questions:
> - macOS Mojave 10.14.6
> - Squid v4.0
> - Instructions in the site mentioned above
> - I use SquidMan
>
> Why the changes in the config file don’t got permanent?

It sounds like SquidMan is writing a new config file on each restart.

AFAIK you have to edit the "Template" file used by SquidMan to retain
any settings in the squid.conf the Squid gets handed.

If that template is what you are already editing (via the SquidMan UI?),
then it is probably a bug in SquidMan and you will need to contact the
author about that.

Re: squid.config

Sérgio Vieira
Hello,

I’m trying to ignore some domains (like facebook.com, youtube.com, etc), meaning that I don’t want logs from this domains.

I already inserted in the config file the following:
acl nolog dstdomain “/etc/squid/acl-nolog.txt”
access_log none nolog

In the txt, i have:
.facebook.com
.instagram.com

But it’s not working. How to achieve this? I’m using SquidMan v4.0 on macOS.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards

Sent from my iPad

> On 14 Aug 2019, at 06:14, Amos Jeffries <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 14/08/19 9:11 am, Sérgio Vieira wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I followed the instructions on this
>> site: https://howchoo.com/g/mwi3ntu1mjq/how-to-set-up-a-proxy-server-on-mac
>>
>> Regarding your questions:
>> - macOS Mojave 10.14.6
>> - Squid v4.0
>> - Instructions in the site mentioned above
>> - I use SquidMan
>>
>> Why the changes in the config file don’t got permanent?
>>

> It sounds like SquidMan is writing a new config file on each restart.
>
> AFAIK you have to edit the "Template" file used by SquidMan to retain
> any settings in the squid.conf the Squid gets handed.
>
> If that template is what you are already editing (via the SquidMan UI?),
> then it is probably a bug in SquidMan and you will need to contact the
> author about that.

Re: squid.config

On 7/09/19 10:41 pm, Sérgio Vieira wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m trying to ignore some domains (like facebook.com, youtube.com, etc), meaning that I don’t want logs from this domains.
>
> I already inserted in the config file the following:
> acl nolog dstdomain “/etc/squid/acl-nolog.txt”
> access_log none nolog
>
> In the txt, i have:
> .facebook.com
> .instagram.com
>
> But it’s not working. How to achieve this? I’m using SquidMan v4.0 on macOS.

Did you place this "access_log none" line above any other log lines in
your squid.conf?
 The "none" will only prevent access_log lines following its line
producing output.

Re: squid.config

Sérgio Vieira

Can you help me with the query below?
Thanks in advance.
Best regards

> On 7 Sep 2019, at 11:41, Sérgio Vieira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I’m trying to ignore some domains (like facebook.com, youtube.com, etc), meaning that I don’t want logs from this domains.
>
> I already inserted in the config file the following:
> acl nolog dstdomain “/etc/squid/acl-nolog.txt”
> access_log none nolog
>
> In the txt, i have:
> .facebook.com
> .instagram.com
>
> But it’s not working. How to achieve this? I’m using SquidMan v4.0 on macOS.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Best regards
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>>> On 14 Aug 2019, at 06:14, Amos Jeffries <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 14/08/19 9:11 am, Sérgio Vieira wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I followed the instructions on this
>>> site: https://howchoo.com/g/mwi3ntu1mjq/how-to-set-up-a-proxy-server-on-mac
>>>
>>> Regarding your questions:
>>> - macOS Mojave 10.14.6
>>> - Squid v4.0
>>> - Instructions in the site mentioned above
>>> - I use SquidMan
>>>
>>> Why the changes in the config file don’t got permanent?
>>>

>> It sounds like SquidMan is writing a new config file on each restart.
>>
>> AFAIK you have to edit the "Template" file used by SquidMan to retain
>> any settings in the squid.conf the Squid gets handed.
>>
>> If that template is what you are already editing (via the SquidMan UI?),
>> then it is probably a bug in SquidMan and you will need to contact the
>> author about that.
>>
>> Amos

Re: squid.config

On 10/09/19 10:16 pm, Sérgio Vieira wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can you help me with the query below?

Only as far as the line ordering issue I mentioned the two days ago on-list.

If that does not work, then all I can do is suggest a Squid upgrade. The
latest version works for me when the log line order is correct.

squid.config Ignore domains

Sérgio Vieira