Quantcast

squid+wccp

Facundo Vilarnovo
Dear Squid users:
        Alter a successful install with squid and wccp everything Works
fine, but the other day it come to us a request from a client, that says
"when I go to http://whatsmyip.org/ , the url says that the client ip
address (origin) is the ip of the squid. It seems that we can't find why
this is...
        Is this a normal behavior for squid? Or I'm missing something in
the configuration file, some option?
        We also try with the "tproxy" value instead "transparent", but
it doesn't seem to work at all.
        Any ideas?

______
Regards
Facundo Vilarnovo

Re: squid+wccp

Adrian Chadd
On Mon, May 14, 2007, Facundo Vilarnovo wrote:

> Dear Squid users:
> Alter a successful install with squid and wccp everything Works
> fine, but the other day it come to us a request from a client, that says
> "when I go to http://whatsmyip.org/ , the url says that the client ip
> address (origin) is the ip of the squid. It seems that we can't find why
> this is...
> Is this a normal behavior for squid? Or I'm missing something in
> the configuration file, some option?
> We also try with the "tproxy" value instead "transparent", but
> it doesn't seem to work at all.

Thats the correct behaviour for normal WCCP transparent proxying.
You're redirecting client traffic to the proxy; so the client doesn't know
its speaking via an intermediary.

You have to do more than just enable tproxy; you have to:

* do a bit of googling for Squid+TPROXY;
* patch your kernel + iptables to have tproxy support;
* configure WCCPv2 (and squid too) to redirect traffic both from your clients
  and from internet webservers to your proxy/proxies;
* make sure Squid's setup right to do tproxy'ing.

I keep asking for some examples from people who have it working, but noone
seems willing to step up and help me write some documentation..

Adrian