want to ask about DNS resolution in firefox as an example

want to ask about DNS resolution in firefox as an example

--Ahmad--
Hello Folks ,

i want to ask

now i  squid proxy  in USA .

im in France and i have french ip address and MY isp has DNS French .

now if i use squid (USA) on my pc in (FR)

and i try to access google.com

the question is being asked is , who will resolve the google website ip  ?

the proxy  ?

or my network card ?

i mean which DNS is playing the role ?
and how to force the DNS to be from squid  , in case to prevent DNS leak ?

thanks

Re: want to ask about DNS resolution in firefox as an example

Antony Stone
On Monday 06 August 2018 at 13:20:37, --Ahmad-- wrote:

> Hello Folks ,
>
> i want to ask
>
> now i  squid proxy  in USA .
>
> im in France and i have french ip address

So, unless you've done something pretty complicated with your networking, you
will have configured your browser to explicitly use Squid as a proxy (ie:
you're not using Squid in intercept mode).

> the question is being asked is , who will resolve the google website ip  ?

Squid, using whatever DNS servers the machine Squid is running on are pointing
to.

Antony.

--
What do you call a dinosaur with only one eye?  A Doyouthinkesaurus.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Re: want to ask about DNS resolution in firefox as an example

--Ahmad--
can you explain please ?

im in FR and access my site from US proxy but visits show location as FR not US

what could be the reason ?

thats why i ask about DNS leak plz advise !

thanks

On Monday 06 August 2018 at 13:32:32, --Ahmad-- wrote:

> can you explain please ?
>
> im in FR and access my site from US proxy but visits show location as FR
> not US

Give us an example - what exactly do you mean by "visits show location"?

> what could be the reason ?

Cookies on your computer, javascript in web pages, browser language
preferences, locally cached content...

I'm sure I haven't thought of everything.

> thats why i ask about DNS leak plz advise !

What does https://whatsmyip.com/ tell you?

Antony.

--
I conclude that there are two ways of constructing a software design: One way
is to make it so simple that there are _obviously_ no deficiencies, and the

 - C A R Hoare

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Re: want to ask about DNS resolution in firefox as an example

avi_h

Re: want to ask about DNS resolution in firefox as an example

Tim Bates
On 06/08/18 21:39, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Monday 06 August 2018 at 13:32:32, --Ahmad-- wrote:
>> what could be the reason ?
> Cookies on your computer, javascript in web pages, browser language
> preferences, locally cached content...
>
> I'm sure I haven't thought of everything.
Some sites check for the X-Forwarded-For header too... Which is probably
showing the public French IP address if no VPN or similar is in use.

TB