window media player can not play .wax file via Squid proxy

window media player can not play .wax file via Squid proxy

Nilesh Gavali
Hi Team.
We are having squid deployed for users which work well for browsing internet. Recently we received complaint from some users who access one of the vendor URL to listen audio recordings.
The procedure they follow as
  1. login to Vendor portal URL via squid proxy
  2. select recording option
  3. select recording , it will get downloaded as .wax file
  4. user open .wax file in media player after which they get error message as unable to play media.

I checked the .wax file which contains link to media file on their same portal URL. but window media player cant access it.

Not sure what is wrong here. I traced squid access logs and able to see the request going to vendor portal but still window media player cant play this file

Need urgent help if anyone work on this kind of requirement.

Thanks & Regards
Nilesh Suresh Gavali

=====-----=====-----=====
and any attachments. Thank you

Re: window media player can not play .wax file via Squid proxy

Antony Stone
On Monday 06 November 2017 at 12:22:11, Nilesh Gavali wrote:

> Hi Team.
> We are having squid deployed for users which work well for browsing
> internet. Recently we received complaint from some users who access one of
> the vendor URL to listen audio recordings.
> The procedure they follow as
> login to Vendor portal URL via squid proxy
> select recording option
> select recording , it will get downloaded as .wax file
> user open .wax file in media player after which they get error message as
> unable to play media.
>
> I checked the .wax file which contains link to media file on their same
> portal URL. but window media player cant access it.

What type of URL is it?  HTTP?  HTTPS?  Something else?

> Not sure what is wrong here. I traced squid access logs and able to see
> the request going to vendor portal

Which request?

The browser request for the .wax file, or the media player request for the
actual media file?

> but still window media player cant play this file

It basically sounds as though either:

 -  Windows media player is trying to access a URL directly without going
through the proxy, or

 - Windows media player is requesting a URL type which Squid can't handle

Tell us what URLs you're seeing in the access log, and what URL is contained
in the .wax file - that might give us more of a clue.

Antony.

--
Douglas was one of those writers who honourably failed to get anywhere with
'weekending'.  It put a premium on people who could write things that lasted

 - Geoffrey Perkins, about Douglas Adams

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.